dishwasher woes

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Popsicle_toes

Seem to have gotten myself in a bit of a mess. I ordered my dishwasher, giving up probably 25% of my cupboard space. I would swear I had measured it months ago and there was sufficient room.. Never swear! I am 2 inches short of having enough space for it. So now I have 3 options
1. Move the sink over 2 or 3 inches ( I need a new counter-top, so it is doable, but seems like a plumbing nightmare to me!)
2 Pull out the nasty pressed board cabinet and extend it and the half wall bar by 4 - 6 inches.
3 give up and pay the restocking fee or trade it for an 18 inch at double the price or a portable, also double the price..
Any advice? :oops:
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!
JD
Site Admin

If you plan on getting a new countertop, moving the sink is actually pretty easy. We could give you more specific directions if we had a picture of the drain plumbing under the sink. If you remove the sink, you should probably get new water supply lines. If they have not been replaced in a long time, the rubber grommets probably have permanent deep dents in them. I always replace these when I have to remove them and they are old. Just take them to your home store and the aprons can get you replacements.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Doni, advice? You don't want mine. I ended up TOTALLY remodeling our kitchen over a "FREE" dishwasher. I was offered one and declined knowing what it would en tale, my wife on the other hand thought, why not?? (Go ahead Yanita, keep laughing) So about $2000 later the "FREE" dishwasher was up and running, with new cabinets, counter top and flooring. BTW, I was just reminded he threw in a "FREE" microwave also!! But Sandy does LOVE the new kitchen. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Popsicle_toes

IMG001372.jpg
Hope this helps.. the dishwasher will go to where the edge of the tape measure is. have to move the doors, but i wanted to replace them anyway.. hopefully at restore.. otherwise, a bit of plywood, some white paint.. the door on the left covers where the dishwasher goes
the cupboard to the right is pretty much dead space, can't get back there..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!
Greg

Looks like you are in the same boat that I was in.

Now you will have to look at the problems and solutions and make the decision that you want.
If you kick the sink over, you will need to do something with the counter top (replace it) since you will have a large hole where the edge of the sink used to be. You will need to move the cabinet door frame, not an easy job since the cabinets are built in place around the frame., If you have a center stile, that will need to be moved also, otherwise the center door line will be off center with the sink.

My thoughts are if it were me, I would price an entire replacement of at least the lower cabinets. As you said, they are the basic pressboard cabinets, there are inexpensive new cabinets out there or check the restore, craigslist etc for a good buy on a quality cabinets. I did our whole kitchen, new cabinets, sink,counter & floor for around $2000. so I know you should be able to save some with some shopping. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Well, replumbing the sink over will be simple enough. Modifying the cabinet door location will be more challenging, but not too difficult. Just have to be creative.

I am thinking all you will need (minimum) is a new tailpiece. They come in different lengths. I have had times when joining new threaded ABS to old ABS where I would get a persistent slow drip leak. Coating the threads with a PTFE pipe thread compound will stop these leaks.

As for the supply lines, I see that you have the mobile home "favorite" <jk>, polybutylene pipe straight to the faucet without shut off valves. While you may be able to continue using this, I would highly recommend cutting the lines as they come out of the bottom shelf (or completely out of the entire home if you are ambitious) and putting in a PB to PEx connector or Sharkbite fitting. The Sharkbite is the easiest and requires no special tools. I use PEx. If you use PEx, then you will need a short piece of PEx pipe crimped to a PEx shutoff valve or 1/2" fitting and install a std shutoff valve to that. Regular braided stainless steel or white plastic supply lines connect the shutoff to the faucet. Because you are installing a dishwasher, you will need to have a 3/8" connector added above the PEx hot water side shutoff. If you go with the 1/2" connector and std shutoff, they make shutoff valves that feed off to both the faucet and dishwasher on the same valve.

If your countertop is just a straight squared end counter and not a miter counter, the counter should be pretty easy to replace. That being said, no matter which way you install your dishwasher, the plumbing will probably be the easiest part.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.