back door replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bahf

[]Hello,

yes it is me agian the one who does things to mobile homes everyone says cant be done. Well I am at another delima in my house. I have a single wide that has a island in the kitchen that is angled to allow space for the dinning area. ( i will try to attach a similar floor plan if i can) ok so I want to take out my sliding glass door and put in french doors but to order a set that will out swing or center swing will cost me over 800 at the local home depot. So here goes my idea I am thinking about just getting two solid glass doors one rh swing one lh swing and put the side by side that way i could go out either door.. this would run roughly around 450 to do. Was just wanting some input on this i already know that i am going to have to increase the opening height anyway so that is not an issue and I was thinking about widening the opening a little bit so i could put a 4x4 between the doors to have something to secure them too. any ideas or suggestion would be great

[img]
mobile%20home%20floor%20plan.gif
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD
Site Admin

Nope, can't be done.

Just joking. If you are good with having a 4x6 between the doors, I would think you could do this. You would need to put in a header across both doors ending in trimmer studs. I don't know the height of your wall there and that may determine how tall the doors can be if it is less than 96".

You would also have to figure out how to secure the post the existing framing, such as Simpson Strong Ties, model "AC". They are made to attach to another beam and not a 2x4 top plate. You would need something suitable for uplift protection. If you are in a high wind zone, this could be an essential part of your plan.

All of the above is assuming you have 2x4 or 2x6 construction. Anything less might be hard to get a permit for. Also, if you are going to set this up as outswing doors, you would want to have an adequate awning that not only keeps the area dry but also has the clearance for a door to swing full open.

Just my thoughts on it.
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bahf

ok should have said this but didnt think about i have an unusual mobile home it is a fleetwood and I have true 8 foot ceilings in the bedrooms the kitchen and living are is 9 foot tall I have standard mobile home doors but i have like 28 inched about the exsisting door frame so I am going to but in standard home doors that will swing in