Coleman Evcon DGAT090BDF troubles

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dewc73

We purchased the furnace and central air new about 11 years ago, and have had nothing but problems (repairs every year after the 2nd year). In the summer, the copper pipe that sends coolant/water to the furnace freezes to a block of ice and the air does not work. No one can find a leak. We also experience about 2-3 inches of water running through our register vents (had to use a shop vac and poke a hole through to drain).

In the winter, the furnace when starting buzzes for about 30 seconds and then kicks on. It will run for awhile, then shut off for about 3 seconds, and immediately kick back on. Several times a week, we wake up to about 50 degree temps as the furnace has not kicked on all night (thermostat set to 68 and has been replaced). I turn the thermostat down to below the current inside temperature and then turn it back up and it works (well, kind of). It still runs/shuts off/runs. We have been using 16 x 20 x 1 filters (2 of them), but I really have to jam them in to fit. Should I be using foam filters instead? I am afraid it is overheating.
The bad part is, my dad and one of my neighbors have furnaces almost identical (Coleman Evcon- with just a few different digits in the model number) and their furnaces do the exact same thing. My dad had a limiter switch put in and it does not do it as much. Help!!!!
dewc73

We live in a 14 x 70 older Victoria mobile home. Not sure if that matters, but it seems most with this model of furnace are in double wide homes. Is there such a thing as too much furnace for the given size home?
Robert

Hi,

That is the correct filters and yes they are a tight fit. As for the on/off issue, could be many things.

Best solution is a good mobile home hvac tech to do a thorough inspection, testing and diagnosis and get it resolved.

The freezing of the refrigerant line can be due to a few things as well, there will only be a leak if there is a low charge present.

IF there is a low charge, there IS a leak somewhere.

Freezing up and thawing out will create the water overflow problem into ducts.

It can also effect the electrical controls and may be partial cause of furnace problems.

With that many issues, only real resolve though is a good hvac tech to find the problem(s).

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dewc73

Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate your time.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Also, you can have a Manual J Load Calculation heat gain/loss done on your home to know precise furnace needed.

Yes, you can have too much furnace, just as well as too little.

You can go here to get a Manual J type program for residential homeowner (HVAC-CALC).

http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp

This is a hvac contractors sight, they do not answer any hvac DIY questions.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dewc73

Forgot to mention, I have had two different HVAC companies out to look at the problem. They both added coolant as it was low both years. The one told me that it most likely is leaking where the line comes up through the floor to the furnace at the joint. He said the newer ones are soldered together, and mine is not. He said that if I had that fitting removed and soldered directly, it would probably fix the leak. The next guy I had look at it, tested everywhere and said he could not find a leak at all. I also had the water in the register vents after they had filled it with coolant. The air was working fine, just had a swimming pool in my ductwork. He took a screwdriver and pried the pan up (under the furnace) and left it there so it would slant more. Who knows. I hate to keep paying people to come out, when it doesn't really fix the problem. I may just replace the whole furnace with brand other than Coleman. I hate to do this, as it is only 11 years old. Do they make other brands for mobile homes? Thanks again.
Robert

Hi,

Once again, IF there was a low charge, then there is a leak somewhere. Water could also be from a clogged drain line, rusted or cracked drain pan.

Yes, there are other brands, Nordyne makes Intertherm and Miller and few other lesser known brands.

You just have to check around to find the different brands that have a mobile home rated gas furnace.

As for as paying and problem not resolved. I would not pay if they failed to resolve the problem.

Thanks,
Robert
dewc73

Okay, I will stop bothering you now. I really appreciate your time, and you helped give me some ideas. I have to now decide whether to fix the unit, or just replace it. THanks again, you have been most helpful!
Robert

Hi,

No bother at all. You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert