Coleman PHP060H1321A Power on delay

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archangele

Hi,

I have a Coleman heat pump HVAC unit model number PHP060H1321A and was wondering
what component causes the delay in start up if the power goes out then comes back on? Also, how long should this delay be. My power went out today and when it came back on (about an hour later) my unit took between 5 and 10 minutes to power up the cooling cycle and blower fan.
Is this normal. My last coleman unit which was a conventional all in one and not a heat pump used to come on right away after the power was restored. Also, where can one get a wiring diagram for this unit?
Thanks,
Bill
Robert

Hi Bill,

The timed delay on break can be on the thermostat, on a circuit control board, or a separate component in the condensing unit.

Some thermostats and units have them, others they are added by someone.

All units should have one somewhere and the normal time is 3 to 5 minutes.

I prefer and have mine set at 5 minutes.

If the compressors stops and starts to fast, it can burn it up and a a $20/$40 part is better than a $1200+ new compressor.

I will check and see if we have your wiring diagram in our ordering list and also see where the ASCT is located.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Hi Bill,

Is your heat pump an older 10 seer or a newer 13 seer ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
archangele

Hi Robert,

My unit is a 13 SEER rated unit with a 10Kw heat coil. I bought this Fleetwood home new and it was built in their plant in early 2008. This is the unit that came with it and I was told it is a 5 ton. It finally fired up yesterday and is fine now. It was just that it seemed like it took an unusually long time to fire up after the power came back on yesterday. It was so slow that I had time to get my meter, pull the side panel off and make some voltage checks before it finally fired up. (about 10 minutes after the power company fixed the lines and restored power to my area.) I had an older home before this with a conventional 5 ton Coleman and that thing had no delay. If the power kicked out then came on, it would shut off then come on immediately. The growling sound convinced me that this was not good for the unit though and I had a 3 minute delay installed in it.. I replaced that unit with an Amana heat pump (13 seer) and it had a 3 minute delay. I was just worried about this one since I had never seen one take between 5 and 10 minutes to restart after a power loss.
Robert

Hi Bill,

For clarification, when I said all should have one, I was meaning they should, but a lot of them do not.

A 3 minute is ok, I just prefer the extra 2 minutes. Shouldn't be set longer than 5 minutes or at least in 31 years, I haven't ran across one with more than 5 minutes.

Still looking for a wiring diagram and will also look into the ASCT.

Thanks,
Robert
archangele

Hi Robert,

I ran the unit today and then let it turn off. I quickly set the thermostat such that is should start up and checked the time between the turn off and the power up. It took 5 minutes. So, from what you are saying, this is correct and actually optimal if one hopes to keep the compressor in good condition. I know every window unit I have in my outbuildings have compressor delays. If they are cooling and you shut them off, then try to turn them on, they just run the fan for about 3 minutes before you hear the compressor start. I guess it just seemed like a longer delay then usual after our power was restored after an hour blackout.
Still I would be interested in where this delay is controlled on this unit. So far, it has run well. The only problem I have had was the failure of the original thermostat inside the house. Other then that, all that has been done to the outside unit has been cleaning.
Bill
Robert

Hi Bill,

No luck finding a wiring diagram yet. Can you take a good close up pic of the controls and post it ?

I can tell if you have an ASCT that way.

It is either in the outside unit or is part of the t-stat.

Usually a small component with 4 spade terminals that the thermostat wires (2) come to from home, then two more wires leave it and go to the contactor coil, one on each side.

Some are fixed timers and some have small dial to set between 3 and 5 minutes.

Thanks,
Robert
archangele

Hi Robert,
I can take a picture of it. I didn't notice any additional box like I had them install on the old Coleman I had with the older house. I did find a wiring diagram and they mentioned that the controller circuit board on these models can have the delay built in. I know that with the old thermostat, which I had to replace because it failed and would turn on the heat coils along with the airconditioner, would not turn on the unit for a few minutes. Maybe it is in the thermostat, but from what this diagram says, it is probably part of that controlling circuit board. I haven't worked on many home airconditioners and about all I have done in the past was clean the ones I had. The only thing I have recharged is my old 1990 Mustang's airconditioner because it uses R-12 and no one here in Florida will touch the thing. So, I bought a set of gauges and just use the cans on the low pressure side to top it off. Never seen an R-12 car unit that didn't leak about 1/4 to 1/2 pound a year. This baby is no exception. Home units look as if everything is sealed better then on car units' Still I have had this one checked each year just to be sure. I guess I was worried that it might be low on freon (or whatever they call it these days) because my car's setup will not start if the pressure drops below a certain point due to insufficient freon. But, at present this house unit blows really cold air and cools the house as it did when new.
Robert

Hi Bill,

Send me a pic of the wiring diagram if you can. It would be a separate component inside controls area, on the control board or on the t-stat.

Low and high pressure safety switches are usually add-on items with mobile home units.

The paperwork from the new t-stat would tell if it had one.

Thanks,
Robert