electrical problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fsleeper1

We have an older mobile home (70's) we purchased and now have a dead recepticle on a wall up near the ceiling. The switch tested good and the recepticle is good but has no power to it. We don't know which way the wires run, whether they are in the walls, the ceiling or underneath. Any ideas?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Sleeper and welcome to the forum. We have a policy within our forum to not give how-to advice on electrical and gas problems. The downside of a failed repair is just too great. But a possible cause of your short could be aluminum wiring, which is found in some homes from the 70's. I recommend that you hire a licensed electrician to repair the problem.

♫ JD ♫
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Hi & welcome. It is our policy here not to get too detailed in our answers, but since you have a more general type question I can give a general answer. Please read the sticky post concerning Gas & electrical questions.
MOST homes have the wires in the walls about a foot up from the floor. Where they tie into the overhead lights & wall switches is anyone's guess.
As JD said,anything beyond that, please call a qualified electrician. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

what I've been seeing in a similar vintage trailer is its all in the walls with some in the ceiling. I've seen no wireing in the floor. The only thing in the floor is drain pipes, gas lines, and heating ducts.

I cant say I'm a fan of the factory electrical work. The in-wall black tape splices (no box, no wire nuts) just plain scare me. then theres the fact that the majority of the ground wires are just snipped. You can pull that crap with 12v, but not 120vac. Its all comming out, these things are flamable enought without shoddy wiring to help matters. I'll also be moving the electrical box from the back to the front, just to make the service run shorter.