cloeman a/c fan humming while running

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mobilguy

i have a coleman presidential outside unit.had to replace the capacitor. dual motor type.
had a 40 + 5 uf 370v replaced with 40 + 5 uf 440v . the unit seems to be cooling ok but the condenser fan makes a loud humming noise when running.i took the fan lead off the capacitor while it was running and the hum went away. good or not thats what i did haha. seemes the motor might have slowed a bit really couldnt tell maybe the hum going away made me think it slowed.
also i oiled the fan motor had 2 holes with plugs for oiling purposes.the humming is kinda loud and deffinately annoying. is it possible the fan motor is going bad. the motor is 28 years old.
THANKS GUYS great site...........mobilguy
mobilguy

i was wondering ......the fins are bent on the condenser so of the air flow through them is restricted would that cause a humming sound, sounds logical.....maybe
Robert

Hi,

At 28 years, good possibility it may be going bad. Don't run it without the run cap.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mobilguy

thank you Robert,
yea i just did a short test when i disconnected the cap form the fan.
but, if the air is restricted and i disconnect the fan from the cap and the fan slowed i would think the humming would be less because the fan wouldnt be pulling as much air.it could be.. the fins are bent so bad. i will straighten the fins and see what happens. worth a try... if nothing else it will make the unit operate more efficiently.....thank you very much for your time
Robert

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?