how do you wire a blower direct to thermostat

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

stonewall73

i have an older coleman furnace in my home model # DGRT056AUA. I want to be able to control the blower with the thermostat without using the furnace itself to circulate air through the house and would like any help on how to do this. thanks
Robert

How many wires are connected to your thermostat ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
stonewall73

2, white and a red
Robert

You will need to exchange the 2 wire a/c control box with a 4 wire control box. Then run 5 wire t-stat wire from furnace to the t-stat IF you do not already have that.

OR, do some disconnecting, rewiring and add a part or two.

Sometimes the 5 wire is there and just the 2 wires are connected.

Can give ordering info if needed.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
stonewall73

What kinda disconnecting do i need to do, i no longer use the actual heating part of the furnace, and have no problem completely disabling it. I just don't know how to do it.
Robert

Do you want to manually turn blower on/off at t-stat or do you want the t-stat to turn blower on/off automatically at certain temps ?

Thanks,
Robert
stonewall73

i want the blower to turn off/on at set temps
Robert

You'll need a couple of fan relays with 24vac coils that have two sets of contacts. One set is normally open and one set is normally closed.

IF you do not know how to do this, best to get someone to do it for you. Very easy to short out low voltage circuit and have a costly repair if hooked up wrong.

Thanks,
Robert