vent pipe's and sealing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

astegall1978

Hey I have a question, I am getting ready to koolseal my roof and I cleaned it today. I have some leaks from the vent pipe's I think, so i looked at it more indepth today and I didnt know what i needed to do it them to stop it. Do I just clean it and retar around it or is there a seal or anything else i needed to do to it.

Thanks so much,
Allen
Greg

If you are using Koolseal, tar based sealers do not mix well with it. Check the can or web site for their recommendations. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
astegall1978

The pipe says to use there patchin kits but no one around here sales that, They all tell me to use the are calking. I put some on it back in jan. and its already done cracked.
JD
Site Admin

Often on metal roofs. there is no support under the roof metal where the plumbing vent pipe goes through it. You can usually see this movement as you approach the vent while walking on the roof. you can cut this pipe at 1 1/3" and install a cap like in the picture.

Hopefully you aren't working with an asphalt sealant, the old stuff or the repair. If there is a large build up of sealants around the vent, this should probably be removed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.