Connecting two doublewides

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MomofMany

Hi. We are hoping to sell our singlewide to pay for the expense of moving a doublewide down and connecting it to our current doublewide. We've already spoken to the health department about permits and the building inspector and they've given us a go ahead. I with we had more movers in this area but there are only two and I can't get one of them to call me back. With everything considered, it appears as though it will be about $10k for everything, including permits, septic upgrade, tearing down of permanent foundation, installing footers, piers and another permanent foundation.

Our thoughts were to take a set of double windows in one room and make them into a double french door opening, have a breezeway connecting to a set of double french doors in another room of the mobile home moving that would have previously been double windows.

When we first bought the property we had intentions of building a stick built home eventually but we thought this would be much less expensive and could keep us in good shape until most of the children leave home and we could build something smaller and let them stay in this home. We would have kept two different building but the other well has had some dirt and we were told, after spending over $3k trying to fix it twice, that we need a new well. Because of the depth (over 500 ft) we've been quoted by 3 companies of aprox $12k for a new well. It just seemed to make more sense to move it down here and connect them. We have 6 children living at home and would love the extra space.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Stephanie
Greg S

I would think that there would be a lot of wasted space in a second double wide and it would be more cost effective to attach the existing single to the your double. T it off of one end. That would allow for more than enough space considering you could turn the kitchen into a bedroom and have a separate living room for the kids or another bedroom.

You could then sell the second double and realise a greater return to fix up the addition.

Also aside from the dirt is the second well working?
Why could you not simply add filters and install the second home separately. If you were allowed to do this then you could likely split the lot and sell it separately in the future.

Obviously you have not provided sufficient info to allow a full understanding of your situation beyond your intentions to join a second double so my advise/questions are possibly of no value.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
MomofMany

Thanks Greg. We have someone interested in buying the singlewide and it is on the road front and easy to move. They would buy it and then rent the lot space from us. That lot is too small for the doublewide. We could sell the doublewide but won't get as much money for it as we would want and the space would be more valuable to us. We have 40 acres and the doublewide we would be moving would be expensive to get down our driveway to the main road (so we were told by the moving company) and that's why I think we can't get $35k for it. It's a 1999 Fleetwood with all new flooring. We don't want to sell the property as you would have to drive right through the middle of our yard to get to it and we bought the acreage for privacy. :D We considered moving the singlewide up but it would be tricky to place because of our lot and if we did a "T" then we would have to do more gradework. We were hoping to sell it for about the same price as it would cost us to move the doublewide so we wouldn't have to worry about renters except for lot rent, wouldn't have to worry about anyone tearing it up and the replacement costs of anything, etc. The other well is still working at the other doublewide but it gets a little dirty. We tried three different filters, put a lining in the well and tried to bring it up just a bit. It is usable for showers and flushing and usually for drinking but I would not feel comfortable drinking it for myself or anyone because for a few weeks out of the past year, it was like mud. If we moved the other doublewide, we planned on keeping the well and using for irrigation and perhaps later having a big covered porch shelter with small bathroom. Still thinking of all options and really appreciate your input.