Kitchen counter top, replace/ fix

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TJP1954

The kitchen sink faucet is loose and wiggles alot during use. It looks like a leak at one time has caused the underlament to swell or rot. Is it possible to fix? ( this is my girl friends Manufactured home and I know I will be asked to fix this, any advice would be appreciatedd.
Greg

Hi & welcome. It sounds like there are 2 possible problems here. If it is just a matter of the faucet being loose, then you should be able to tighten up the mounts. You will need to get under it and take a look as to how it is mounted to see how to tighten it up.

If it is a case of rot under the counter, then you are looking at replacing at least a section of the counter. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Denison

As much as I agree with Greg's answer...what does a person do if they are faced with the reality of no money for a partial (section) counter replacement? A temporary fix might be more affordable, till some money can be saved up.
Helping out in the park means even those who can't pay me, or who can only afford a new faucet. The faucet leaking onto the counter is usually the problem. Rarely can time be spent (efficiently) trying to repair a no name brand faucet. I ask if they can replace the faucet...Yes...OK then get the replacement. That should stop the water up on top.
The new faucet probably has a molded plastic base that the faucet is tightened onto; I use that as a template to then draw the circles onto two thin pieces of material that will be placed under & over the bad section of counter. The circles, having been drilled out or somehow removed will let the faucet connectors pass thru both the over and under "plates". Once the faucet is secured in place and this "sandwich" is tightened up from underneath, it should (depending on the type of materials used for the plates) be more sturdy than before. I've used thin plywood, aluminum and plastic for the plates.
Denison