Kitchen space issue

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Socalrudy

Ok, I have a kitchen remodel in mind, the only problem is my stove hides part of my base cabinets. On an 8 foot long countertop, I lose about two feet because of the stove. I want to put new base cabinets and granite countertop, but don't know what to do about the loss of space. As it is now, I open the doors under the sink and the cabinet side was taken out so access could be gained to the obstructed cabinet. Anyone have any insights or suggestions on what I could do? I would post a picture but have no idea how to use a public access server.
I am living my white trash dream of owning a mobile home and my parents couldn't be prouder.
Greg S

To clarify. Your stove is set 90 degrees to the counter at the end blocking the last two feet of the under counter access.
If this is the case the only way to access that corner would be if you could move the stove far enough away from the counter to put in a corner unit lower cabinet. The type with the double doors having a hinge down the center.
This of course would require a new counter top.

Short of that you would have to put the stove in place of an existing lower unit (but not in the corner it is blocking) allowing you to add a new corner cupboard and a new cupboard where the stove presently sits. Doing this would eliminate the cupboard where the stove is moved to but would gain the dead space and a new cupboard in place of where the stove is now.
Lose one cupboard gain two.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Since you have found out, or soon will NOTHING in a Mobile home is standard. What I would do is measure up your available space, Measure the appliances and and then figure what you have left for cabinets.

Many home centers will do a free plan / layout for you or there may be some free design downloads out there that could do this.

Once you have the available space go shopping and see what you can find for types & sizes of cabinets to fill the space. Remember that the sink base cabinet will be a set size and possible a set location so you start there.

There are lots of cabinets out there in all price ranges, If you have a dealer near you that sells Sunco, take a look at them. I highly recommend them, Their quality & price will be hard to beat. I did Our entire kitchen (base, wall & Pantry) for around $1200. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Socalrudy

My hesitation with the stove is if I move it from its spot, don't I then have to move the hood assembly as well?
I am living my white trash dream of owning a mobile home and my parents couldn't be prouder.
Greg S

Yes you do have to move the vent but a stove vent does not necessarily have to vent outside. Mine does not it simply has a fan forcing air through a charcoal filter. Recirculating the air back into the kitchen.
You bigger issue will be the electrical for the stove. This can be a major issue especially if the new location is farther away from your electrical panel than it's present location.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

OK, you can leave the stove in place and work around it. If you don't have a window over the sink that will be easier to relocate.
It can be done, it takes some planning, trust me. I had a buddy that wanted to give me a "free" dishwasher, I said no, my wife said yes, so we compromised and I remodeled the kitchen.
I extended it into the living room about 3' and added a divider wall.
The "Free" dishwasher only cost about $2500 by the time I was done, Good thing he threw in a free microwave too!! Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelworkersgal

Greg I looked at your pictures did you have a problen putting up that wall as this is the same thing we have to do how did you anchor it to the ceiling or did you. We will also be hanging cabinets from the wall as well. Thank you.
You can do anything if you put your mind to
Greg

You can see by the white spot on the ceiling where the old cabinet was. We kicked it about 3' but the living room is large enough to allow it. I anchored into the wall studs and somehow I had a ceiling joist line up as well. I built the wall out of 2x6 so I did have some wiggle room to hit studs. I used 4" screws to anchor it in place. The guy in the white shirt was the cause of all this with the "Free" stuff. Greg
steelworkersgal

This may sound silly but how can I tell where the joices are in the ceiling. The layout of your living room and kitchen you have, looks so like mine. I also had cabinets (very flimsey) against the same side wall you have but they were not attached to the ceiling, they were anchored to the front wall and had two little legs holding them up there was nothing on top of the cabinets they were opened all on top. So that's why I was wondering how to anchor the studs to the ceiling if your not sure where the joices were. I am wanting to do the same thing you did to your kitchen. Bumping it out to accommodate more cabinets.
Greg

The easiest way is with a stud finder, Around $20. but well worth it. You can use the "Old school" method and lightly tap across the ceiling until you hear the sound change, keep going until it changes again that should be both edges of the stud. Try a SMALL nail to make sure. Greg
steelworkersgal

Thank you