Ant Control Help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sdshaw2

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1991 ~1000sq ft Fairmont trailer in the Chicago, IL area. It is winter here and suddenly we are getting tiny ants coming out from little nooks and crannys - wall board seams, little gaps near the ceiling or floor, etc. We keep a clean place and it doesn't even seem like they are after food. They are in the tub, on the toilet, and stray ones on the hunt for something. They are driving me crazy! I feel as if we have a colony living in our walls or something. Someone in the area suggested I bug bomb underneath the trailer inside the skirting but I'm not sure it's an option when we have 10 degree weather. I do use an ant spray and spray areas when I find an entry point, but the ants always just remerge. It's also worth noting underneath our trailer there is not a complete foundation. There are only two cement strips that are there for the areas the trailer sits on it, the rest it dirt. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I am going crazy!

Thanks,

Stephanie
bobfather99

To solve the problem on the inside, use Borax. Its usually available in the laundry section of your local store for a good price. Most ant control products have Borax as a major ingredient anyways. Ive tried it before on an abandoned foreclosure, worked great!! Use gloves!!!

Ants enter homes for two reasons, for somewhere to live and for food.
For the "outside" problem, caulk and seal any possible entry points of the home and skirting.
Make sure the underbelly material is as intact as possible. Repair as necessary.
Lay down some plastic material on the dirt portion of the ground under the home.
I'd sprinkle a little Borax underneath as well, to further repel the ants.
Tip your bartender.....