High Humidity in 2005 Fleetwod Home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

duckmansheba

I have a weekender home in the mountains of southern California. The weather is much like what they call "high desert" with extremes from snow to 110 degrees in the summer. The home is a 2005 Fleetwood doublewide, installed professionally, inspected and permitted and on a perimeter block foundation on top of decomposed granite, which is the soil up here.
I am noticing a high humidity level in the back bedroom which faces north. I have evap cooling as well as central air and propane heat. I havent used the evap cooler in two years. The home is well sealed and has exhaust fans in all bathrooms and kitchen. The under belly is all sealed with no voids or leaks. Mold sometimes forms around the two windows in this room. I have a couple of those disposable humidity cans which are usually full within a two week period. I have no water leaks and no wall or ceiling damage anywhere. Am i suffering the virtues of a well sealed energy effeicient home or do i have a problem?
Greg

It sounds to me like a tight home. You could try a fan in the back bedroom to move the air through the home or a dehumidifier. I have to run a dehu all winter in ours to keep the level down and the windows fog free.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
duckmansheba

Thanks Greg,
Any recomendations oa a good dehumidifer?
Greg

We have a Danby, but I would shop around and read reviews. No matter what they all are going to be noisy when they run. If you are gone all week you may want to look for a model that has a drain tube option, once the tank is full the machine will shut off, that could be 1 day running.

You may have to set the unit on a table or a dresser for the drain tube to drain by gravity.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
duckmansheba

Thank you