mh roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dogbone

Hello new here to the forium just a quick question just bought an 87 champion single wide in good shape but the pitched :evil: metal roof makes a lot of noise when it windy outside so yesterday i screwed it down to all of the trusses with some corrugated roofing screws,the kind with the plastic washer on them did i mess up by not letting it to move with the wind should i take the screws back out or will i be ok with them in? thank you all and what a great Forum.
JD
Site Admin

That question would come in better before the screws were installed. While the screws will stop roof rumble for a while, it is very likely that they will leak in a year or two. The roof metal itself expands and contracts a lot with temp changes. Also as a house settles or moves due to frost heave, there will be a lot of stress put on those screws.

Since the screws are already there, you might get some extra protection with a good covering of roof/flashing caulk. Other than that, you will have to inspect them regularly, like once or twice a year, maybe more. You also might consider saving up for a plan B, new roof over at some point. You could probably keep up the maintenance and keep your roof from leaking, but all rolled galvanized roofs have a finite life span and will need to be replaced at some point. Many roof over systems require very little maintenance compared to a factory rolled roof.

Roof rumble on glavanized rolled roofs has been an issue since these roofs were first installed. Ton's of complaints about the noise. If the roof metal could effectively be screwed down to the trusses, the factories would have been doing that all a long. I am thinking that it has limited long term success and possibly could damage the roof after a while.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
dogbone

Thank you JD for the info i was planning for a new roof next year this is just a temp fix because the thin metal had some long tears and was afraid the wind would tear it more and rip off.I will take your advice and caulk it up good keep them inspected, it stormed here today with some wind and heavy rain did'nt have any rumbleing or no leaks so i hope it will be ok till the first of next year thank you very much for the help and god bless.