Metal Roof Installation Questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bushump

I am looking at installing a metal roof over my 30 year old 12 x 50 single wide mobile home. I have the manual and it appears that the metal roof is just the standard corrugated metal roofing from the local lumberyard. I have went and check with them and they say you need a 3/12 pitch to use the corrugated metal roofing. I have been looking at the Pro Rib Steel from Menards. Is this ok to install on slightly domed roof? Will it bend and conform to the doming ok if i use it?

I planned on performing it just as I suggested in the manual.

Any other tips and suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Brandon
Greg

I have not done a domed style, but according to Mark it will indeed take the shape. I know others here have done a domed style roof using that method. Perhaps someone that has will add their ideas.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bushump

Greg, thanks for the quick reply. I hope it will and the low slope is probably why he tells you to screw through the ridge and not the flats.
Thanks
Brandon
bushump

Bump. Just checking again to see if anyone has used what I asked above and any suggestions they may have.

Thanks
Brandon
JD
Site Admin

I have not installed a mobile home roof, using corrugated metal, but I was a pole barn builder many years ago. When looking for steel roofing panels, different products will have different minimum pitch/slope requirements. Standing seam panels will offer the lowest pitch requirements and most are hidden fastener systems.

I think most metal roof panels will work on a curved mobile home roof, but I also suspect that no manufacturer is going to make that claim, precisely because of the pitch of the roof. I sell a raised panel insulated roof, which I have installed on almost flat roofs with no problems. Below is a picture showing my panels going on a curved roof. I am thinking that corrugated metal panels would relax over the curve without kinks or bends, but again, I have never done it myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bushump

Cool. Thanks. After reading some other posts and looking at other roofs in my area they all appear to be standing seam roofs. So now I am currently looking for a supplier who sells a standing seam product.
Thanks for the help.
Brandon