Roof Leak

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jjlewis60

Roof patch job: kitchen has two 'leak' areas, tiles are swollen, and discolored...I know this is a relative no brainer....overcoming fear of heights and ladders, well...

Please advise what products to purchase where or provide links.

We're in the rainy season now--Tampa area--so this is a time critical message...

TKS.
JD
Site Admin

You may get more replies by starting a new topic rather than replying to an answered post. So I have split your question into a new post.

What is the nature of your roof leak? Location? What type of roof do you have? Comp shingle, metal and rubber roofs use entirely different products for repairs usually. There are some polyurethane caulks that will work on most roofs (Tremco - Vulkem 116), but may not be the best choice depending on the nature of the leak. Is it on the eave edge of the roof? Near a roof vent? etc.

You can contact local mobile home supply stores to see if they carry Okaply ceiling panels. Here is a link that shows you what they are. http://www.mobilehomedepotmi.com/parts_ ... panels.htm I just visited the manufacturer's site, and I am not sure if they still produce these panels or not, but Mobile Home Depot still shows them on their site. You need a local store because shipping is ridiculous expensive.

For most folks, the panels are not available. Replacement is usually beefing up the trusses (on older homes), and installing 1/2" sheetrock. DCDiva did some ceilings with wood paneling which look very nice. Sure would be a lot easier to work with.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DaveyB

I realize that this may sound trite, but for the present, you want to get a tarp securely tied down over the roof. The more water that enters the roof cavity, the more damage you will have to repair, so minimize it as quickly as possible. For some people this is a natural step to take, while others may not think of it, which is why I mention it here - my apologies if you have already done this!

As JD mentioned, knowing the type of roof you have would help greatly in making suggestions as to how to proceed with repairs. If you can identify the source of the leak, then that would narrow the field for helpful suggestions - for example, damaged shingles, flashing around a vent pipe, rusted-through metal roofing, hail damage, paint erosion (have you ever seen what a seagull's droppings does to the paint on a car??)

The more information you can give us, the better the quality of the answers :mrgreen:

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
jjlewis60

It turns out to be where the roof slightly dips in the kitchen area; and as everyone knows water manages to find a way in. The handyman for the MHP is going to apply 3 coats of sealant and as a favour slightly build up the dip area for me....Thanks to everyone for their replies...