Minor repairs or major repairs?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Crocmate

We have a 1972 Lamplighter MH. We put some money into it for new floors (carpet and linoleum) then paint and a few subfloor spots. Not much because it was in pretty good shape. Now a few years later...repairs. And I'm not sure how to proceed.

We fixed the leak in the roof but not before it destroyed the bathroom ceiling tile. Hole about the size of a softball maybe a little larger. I have the long tiles that stretch across the room. I also want to replace the tub walls. Easy enough I think with a new enclosure. But what do I do with the ceiling above the tub? Can I use the Fasade tiles? Do I need to take out the current tiles and secure the Fasade tiles to something else or can I just use a staple gun on the current tiles to secure them then glue the Fasade tile over them?

Also have to replace kitchen countertops and make a support for the cabinets. The cabinets I think should be easy enough since all I am going to do is get decorative table legs to push the cabinets back up...in hopes that this will also fix the ceiling tiles being pulled apart there.

Any thoughts?
Greg

Hi & welcome. When doing ceiling repairs there really is no right or wrong way to do it. What ever looks good works. The only other way would be to replace the whole ceiling in the room.

Kitchens can be one of those things that end up snowballing on you. If you do some shopping you don't have to spend a huge amount on them. I did our's for under $2k cabinets, counters & floors. I really would not spend a lot of time trying to save the original cabinets, If you look at how they are made you will see that most are really junk.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I am not familiar with the Fasade product, but I would say the mobile home ceiling panels themselves won't hold a nail or staple very long. They are basically the same glorified cardboard product that some 2' x 4'' ceiling tiles are made of. Using adhesive to install smaller tiles might cause some sagging between trusses, but I am not sure of that. Never done it or seen it. I have seen 4x8 and 4x12 panels installed over the old ceiling and for the most part, it was not a good idea.

Unless you do your fasade panels or replace the entire ceiling, any repair will standout and be noticed. But a section can be replaced with ne of those 2'x4' panels. You will see it, but it is a very inexpensive repair. You will need to add furring strips as nailers between the trusses and you may need to shim the cut out section with 1/8" plywood/paneling or something to keep the surfaces even.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Crocmate

Thanks guys! It gives me more to help make my decisions.