repair or replace ceiling exhaust fan

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda (OH)

Happy Holiday everyone!

my next interior repair will be to "fix" a bathroom exhaust fan that is in the ceiling.

is the best way to take it down, and take the unit to the store to get them to help me spec a replacement, or are they pretty standard? do I need a whole fan, or can you just replace the motor? is there ones that hard wire into existing wires, vs ones that plug into an outlet? (needless to say, my first look at Home Depot at the fan choices has left me pretty confused)

different flow rates? is a $50 fan that much better than a $12 one?
Are fans that are placed directly under an opening different from ones that go through a sideways duct?

always needing to learn I guess is good for me.... lol

Brenda (OH)
Greg

Brenda, It will be quicker and possibly cheaper to replace the whole unit. As for fan size, they are rated by CFM (cubic feet per minuet) the more cfm the quicker the air will move. Lets say you have a 10x10x 7 room, that is 700 cubic feet, if you have a 700 cfm fan it will change the air in the room once every minuet. the more air you move the more moisture that goes outside your home. Now a 700cfm fan is HUGE, but I am just using that figure as an example, come to think of it a 10x10 bath is a little big too. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi,

Mark sells this one in the Books & Parts link in top toolbar, plumbing section.

http://mobilehomerepair.com/media/img/bathfan1.jpg

It's 50cfm . He can get others if needed.

Greg gave good info. If you can get it out, take it with you to store for a match or give us the info on it and we'll send info on one from the store.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?