Do I have a problem?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cas1414

Since I can't post a picture I will try to describe the best I can.

Have a 1990 doublewide. There is a wall that runs from the marriage wall to the exterior wall. This separates the laundry room and a bedroom. There is a 5- 1/2 foot long wall running from that wall and connecting to the wall separating the laundry room and the den. (running perpendicular to the floor joists) Had the furnace replaced 2- 1/2 years ago with heat pump. Air handler went where furnace was. I just discovered that the installer cut off one of the wall studs about 5 feet from the ground to make room for the air handler. To the left of this stud is another stud 24 inches away. To the right of this stud is the door to the laundry room (8 inches from the cut stud).

It has been this way 2 -1/2 years. We've had as much as 4 inches of snow on our shingle roof. No roof problems and no ceiling problems.

I'm concerned if I need to do something about this stud that was cut off. Hopefully my description made sense.

Any opinions would be appreciated. (And I'm quite angry that this was done and I didn't know).
JD
Site Admin

This doesn't sound like a load bearing wall, and if so, it should not effect the trusses. But he could have bridged the two studs next to it with a 4x6df or something like that. Put a supporting end to the stud he cut. I imagine it would be very difficult to add that support now. Keep in mind that this support would still not be the same as a stud going to the floor. So while not ideal, I don't think this would create roof or ceiling damage.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.