Smell in the cabinets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

Heaven't used the hutch in the dining room until we decided to use it to store dishes and useable items for the home. Funny thing. We did begin to store dishes and the like in the hutch and as we were taking things out to use as serving disshes we recognized a 'smell' to everything we take out from the hutch. Everybody has been telling us to use baking soda and the aroma will dissipate and then go away. Others have said to use simple green and clean out the smell. I want to paint the whole hutch just to start over. Is this one of those things that happen over time that results in what I call an 'old smell'. Its a weird type thing really. Doesn't smell like mold it has its own distinct smell. Any ideas?!?
psaltee
Greg

I would try the other methods before I painted. You would need to clean it before you paint anyway.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
devilonmyback

I have a similar funky smell in my cabinets in my 1994 unit. both bathroom and kitchen cabinets have the same odor, smells a little like mold but not really. I put those moisture absorbing pellets and it helps a little, but its still unpleasant. I smell it my wife is indifferent to it.
Psaltee

A contractor told me the smell is typical in older mh. He believes it's nothing more than an 'old' smell from years of use/non-use. He recommends painting with a paint additive before painting. I'm not yet willing to call it something related to mold or mold itself just yet. Haven't had that experience in a stick built house. Wonder why some of these issues/experiences come into play in a mh. Any ideas? Right now I'm using dryer sheets. I'll let you know?!?! psaltee
1987Commodore

does the hutch have an enclosed area underneath it? could be something going on there.