White Ocean HWT tripping often!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

homebuff

Hot water tank thermostat trip sw. keeps tripping.
Can't tell if it's a metal tank or fiberglass.
Need to know the ohm specs on the old element while it's out of the tank.
It had a buildup of crusty crud at the thraded end of the element just inside the element where the crud was touching both sides of the element like you would have when two wires are touching shorting out.
I know that the crusty crud is like metal substance like rust developes.
Flushed out the tank by simply installing hose to spout & left water on for about 5 minute to see if any crud or discoloration came out & saw none.
Already replaced the TS & element but the element is a differant design but same wattage 5500 watt 230 volt. Tank is a single element design with a 30 gal. tank.
Element reads on one side 2200 watt & on the other side reads 5500 watt so I don't exactly know what wattage the old one is that I removed.
The tank specs on the tank label reads 5500 watt max.
Specs on TS & element appear to be the same except the element is a curlled design & not the straight one like I removed from it.
Set the temp to 120 degree like the specs recoomended. When the TS is not trippng the water gets extemely hot & steaming hot to the touch. Almost scalded my wifes hand's.
Going to go purchase the same straight type that I removed from it & not the curled style I have in it now & see what happens next.
In the process I did replace the TS as well. Same type!
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
jpingram5

Try a 3500 Watt one. 5500 watt sounds like its too much for that water heater.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
homebuff

I did install a 3500 watt. The thermostat when I installed it was not up against the tank well enough was the reason I believe it was trippng so much & causing the water to get too hot. Working ok now. Had to cut off the adjusting knob though cause the cover would not go back on. No biggy to me just as long has it keeps on ticking & keeps on heating & things get back to normal again.
It's about time I stated thinking about retiring from this ol' house anyway. It's getting so run down from me not being able to keep it up. My body can't take it anymore. Want to move into one of those fixed income apartments & let them keep it up.
Thank's!
David
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer