Sag in Ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rickyray

I read another post that discussed straightening your ceiling by making some type of ceiling jack then reinforcing the trusses with pretty large triangular pieces of 3/8" cdx plywood.

I assume you release the jack after you reinforce? Then it settles down close to level.

If you were going to start this in a larger living room area, where would you start? In the middle of the room at mid-span and work you way out? Or near a wall?

If it were a double-wide, would the approach be any different? One side is worse than the other.

Thanks,

Rick
Greg

Rick, I don't think there is any hard & fast method to doing it, but I would start in the middle of the sag and work towards the ends if you need to. with luck you may only need to set the jack once.

As for a double wide, that should make no difference since it is really 2 single wides side by side.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I would start in the most damaged area, but as Greg implied, it wouldn't really matter. You can run a tight string line from one wall to the other, over the top of the bottom cord of the trusses to keep your eye on level. I will run that line 1" high so that repaired trusses won't move the level. It is difficult if not impossible to get each truss perfect but you can get it beyond normal visible detection. I always jack the ceiling up about 1/4" to 3/8" extra hoping it will relax down to where it needs to end up.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.