How to install dryer vent?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Habbyguy06

After buying my mobile home I found that the dryer is vented to the underneath of my place. I want to have it going to the outside. But there is only 2.5" of space between the floor joist and furnace ducting. What do I do?
1987Commodore

Can you attach a vent line where the pipe exits underneath and run it through the skirting?
Habbyguy06

One of the mobile home supports is in the way. I would have to go around it. So there would be 3 elbows in the system. Is that ok to do? Also is it safe to have it go out of the dryer at 4" then squish the tube to fit through the floor at 2.5" then back to 4"?
flcruising

You do not want restrictions (squishes) in the dryer vent.

If the vent is already through the floor and into the crawlspace, I don't see the difficulty of elbowing toward the skirting and installing a vent kit through the skirting? All you should need to do is extend the 4" vent pipe down level with the bottom of the support beam and 90* elbow it to make it horizontal, if another elbow is necessary to avoid an obstruction, use the adjustable elbows to make it as shallow a bend as possible. Foil tape all your joints.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

If possible use 4" pipe and stay away from the flexible stuff, and the rule is no more than 3 90* elbows.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Habbyguy06

flcruising wrote:You do not want restrictions (squishes) in the dryer vent.

If the vent is already through the floor and into the crawlspace, I don't see the difficulty of elbowing toward the skirting and installing a vent kit through the skirting? All you should need to do is extend the 4" vent pipe down level with the bottom of the support beam and 90* elbow it to make it horizontal, if another elbow is necessary to avoid an obstruction, use the adjustable elbows to make it as shallow a bend as possible. Foil tape all your joints.
The only way to get any vent through the floor is to squish( or should I say make it oval) the metal flex stuff since there is only 2.5"of space. Plus it is not hard to move the drier to clean the squished(oval) part out.
And what the support beam is sitting on is in line with where the vent would go. So I would have to go around it.
I don't understand why the would build a mobile home without a place to put a venting system?

Thanks everyone for the replies. All info helps.
Greg

Can you go through the side wall to the outside?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."