Condensation In Sliding Glass Door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

PennylessZ28

Hey folks, today I was cleaning windows and notice that there is a lot of condensation between the two pains of glass. It looks really nasty, is there anyway to fix this or air it out? Or do I have to replace the whole thing.
Yanita

Hi,

You can open the inside window just a bit to allow for air circulation, add a dehumidifier to your home, make certain that when bathing/showering/cooking to use the exhaust vents for at least an hour after use.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Mike,

That's usually due to the two sides of glass being two temps, sun hitting one directly and other being in cooler home side.

If the door loses its seal around the glass panes, it will lose its gasous charge and allow air in.

Change in surrounding temps then creates condensation as the air vaporizes.

Not much you can do to correct that other than replace the door.

A lot of remedies have been tried with little to no success.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Mon May 28, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

whoops sorry, thought he said he was cleaning wnidows....
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
HouseMedic

You can change out the double pane glass. The old one is shot once it leaks air inside. I have repaired a few this way. If you have a local glass shop in your area check to see if they can make you up a new pane. Tell them that its for a door (has to be tempered) and you will need good measurements. See if there is a wood or vinyl trim that comes off so you can get old glass out.

Ron
mrfixit1

If you decide to replace the glass-a note of caution. I replaced a number of thermal (dual) paned windows in my house and had the local (capable) glass shop make up the windows to my dimensions. I did not double check the dimensions when I received the glass and attempted to put them in the frame. After an hour of incredible frustration I checked their work and found their dimensions off. Needless to say I wasn't happy at having to make an extra trip and wait another day to repair the window.
Incidentally, the material they use to glue the glass together should be a humidity "getter". Not all glass shops can do this.
PennylessZ28

If that is the case, think I'll just live with it for awhile. I don't feel like unloading my money on it. It faces someone else's trailer, and doubt I'll open that door much as for some reason there is a fence one foot in front of it.