Termites and skirt framing damage

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NMarie

New to this forum and topic. So please have patience with my descriptions of my skirting question.

I had a pest inspection done on the my 1977 Skyline Homette. The inspector says their are termites working up the wood skirt framing and recommended the chemical treatment for the structure. He also suggested removing the damaged wood in the framing.

My question is would it be better to replace the framing with Trex or metal rather than wood. Or is there a wood that is better for termite area.

I am planning to have the termite treatment of course. Just would like to prevent further skirt frame issues.

Hope you can answer my question.

PS, I do have Mark's book and have learned alot from it. :shock:
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Personally since you are already experiencing termite infestation I would remove all wood skirting and framing.

I would replace with either traditional vinyl skirting, Mark' monster skirting (in the Articles link), or if able block/brick.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
NMarie

Oops. Knew I would not be clear enough. :oops: The skirting is metal and as old as the trailer. Just the framing is wood. And yes, I think you are right about replacing the whole thing, but is there a better or different material, than wood, that would work for the framing?

Or should I just rely on the chem termite treatment to prevent future termit damage.

Again, thanks for responding.
Yanita

Hi,

You can frame with metal or another material. BUT, termites also make mud tunnels up the inside of blocks/piers if not filled with concrete. They can also create mud tunnels inside the skirting regardless of the skirting material or frame work.

Personally I would go ahead and remove all damaged/infested wood and re frame with pressure treated lumber.

Once you get termites it (IMO) is always best to maintain a pest control company.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi NMarie, welcome to the forum!

I have to agree with Yanita here. Any wood that comes in contact with your home is subject to termites.

You can go with vinyl skirting, but it also has it's problems. It contains no wood.

But, your home does have wood framing throughout. If termites have caused problems with the skirting, then they most likely have found their way into the frame of your home.

Seek a professional exterminator!

Maureen

8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'