Need roof opinions please(pics)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

paul12

Hi all! I have a 1972 trailer that I have been living in for about 10 years. I have been coating the roof with white reflective. I just gave it 2 coats this summer.

I have noticed I have pooling going on. Not only from the top but from the inside it's leaking. My plan was to coat the top and fix the pooling later. But the coat job didn't work and it's leaking still.

I finally broke away the ceiling tiles. It looks terrible.

My question is how should I fix the top from pooling water and can I in December, and should i rip all this insulation out now and what should i put in there if i do?

Thanks. This sucks. I have other spots doing it also. There are 3 spot on the roof that pool.

Last edited by paul12 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul12

another
JD
Site Admin

It looks to me like there are broken trusses. It is hard to get a scope of area from the picture, but the dent looks bigger than 16". Repairing the truss should end the ponding. If this dent is between trusses, you could add cross bracing to the trusses to support the roof metal. Usually you can repair the broken part of the trusses by making a plywood cut out of the shape the truss should have, rreach up and push the broken truss pieces together where they should be, then glue and fasten the 3/8" plywood to the truss wood. The piece of plywood also needs to have some type of vertical support by fastening to truss bracing or adding furring strip bracing.

Most elastomeric coatings will fail when left submerged in ponding water. There are elastomerics that are approved for ponding water, such as Ames Research Elasto-Barrier, Liquid Rubber roof coating and I think Geocel has one as well. I am sure there are others. But standard Kool Seal, Snow Roof and the white Henry's Elastomeric will all flake up and peel off when left under water for long periods of time.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
canman47

This looks like my roof did last year. Small leaks had allowed water to get in and the roof coating prevented it from getting out. Areas of my metal roof had just rusted away which caused the ponding. Of course the pressure from the ponding water pushes more water in and it gets worse. Hard to tell if your trusses are bad from the picture but I'm guessing that it's like mine and the metal has big rusted holes in it. I ended up getting a new roof. They screwed sheet metal over the holes, then rigid foam over that, then vinyl roof. Expensive but no more roof problems. After making sure your trusses are ok you may be able to screw sheet metal over the bad spots but you need to seal with something really good like polyurethane. Those roof coatings are not sealants and will not seal out water especially if it's ponding.