Wall Mounting my Plasma

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

PennylessZ28

Question, anyone have a wall mounted Plasma or LCD tv in their trailer? I wall mounted my 52 inch at my old place, and I was thinking about how flimsy some things seem in this home, and I'm wondering if those tiny studs in the wall will support the weight since its not a normal home.

What you guys think? Will I be safe?
Maureen

Hi Mike,

Are you thinking about placing the plasma on an outside wall or an inside wall? What type of walls do you have? 2x4 or 2x6 studs?

We don't have a plasma tv yet, but we do have an entertainment center wall. It's been constructed to hold a plasma tv when we do upgrade. We're old, so it isn't a must have right now. Don't watch that much tv, except for football. What I did was to leave some sistered 2x4's in place that were covered in mirrors at one time. These are basically sistered to the framing 2x4's. Because we're on a permanent foundation, these should handle a plasma's weight when the time comes.

I know plenty of folks that have them in 2x6 framed homes.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi,

I also have a plasma, but I did not mount to the wall as I like to rearrange furniture to often. :?

I believe if you check the archives there are some pics and instructions posted by RickD.

If you mount on the exterior wall with 2x4 or better studs you should be fine, any interior wall I personally would remove the wall panel, sister the studs and then rehang the panel, then install the tv.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
masswood

I would think if you have 2x3's you should be alright. I don't think lcd or plasma tvs are that heavy.

Joe
PennylessZ28

masswood wrote:I would think if you have 2x3's you should be alright. I don't think lcd or plasma tvs are that heavy.

Joe
It weighs 38lbs plus the mount is about 1 or 2 lbs.
Yanita

Will the wall mounts secure to studs or by it's own design will it miss the studs?

~Yanita~
PennylessZ28

Yanita wrote:Will the wall mounts secure to studs or by it's own design will it miss the studs?

~Yanita~
I took the stud finder to the wall tonight, its an inside wall, and I'm not sure whats up with the wall, but the studs seem to be further apart than normal. And I don't want to go knocking down the wall after I just painted the living room to find out. Think I'll just buy a tv stand. Easier right?

Thanks for the help.
Yanita

Hi,

It's pretty common to have the interior studs every 2 feet on center, and I use the term on center very loosely.

If you really want to wall mount it then you will need to do as I suggested in a earlier reply, and probably add some solid nailer's in between the sistered studs.

Your choice...

~Yanita~

My wife likes to rearrange the living room often, so I couldnt mount my plasma on the wall, what I found as a replacement to my traditional entertainment center is a tv pedestal stand that you can mount a plasma like its on the wall, it virtually floats in the air now and I can move it when my wife wants to rearrange. Best find ever.