JD, can you please give me input on my previous post? thanks

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

benlminton

in addition to my previous info, there will be a 8 foot wide porch in the middle 35 feet of the doublewide in which the roof will extend over and would be resting on 4 columns. this, in effect would take some of the load off of the front exterior wall, and onto the columns. i dont know if that would make much of a difference. assuming that the exterior walls are 2x6's, how risky is this? i wont be near the house for a week to ensure it is 2x6, but im pretty sure it is. any input is greatly appreciated. thanks
JD
Site Admin

Hi benlminton,

Personally, I would think that this would be too much weight on your home. If you have advanced construction skills (or have access to) the home may be alright if you removed all roofing and trusses and started over. This would address the weight issue, but I can not imagine that it would be worth it to you. You would be much better off building a pole barn type roof over.

I am not sure if there is an area in the US that is not subject to building code. I have no doubt there are areas where inspectors are basically non-existant. But the codes that do apply to mobile homes have basic HUD code at the core and local stipulations added. The codes are all fact based and argued out in hearings by experts and reps much smarter than me. I would think that with or without a permit or inspectors that it would be wise to build to code.

I hope your block skirting is just skirting. I hate it when block, brick or even framing is used just under the rim joist. That area will move with ground heave or maybe not. But without a total concrete pad, the piers from all beams and all the walls on blocks will not be settling (going out of level) at the same rate. This puts unwanted pressure on the rim joists.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.