baton strips

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

texas2007

just wondering if anyone has painted the walls in their home and if so, did you leave the baton strips on or just take them off and caulk where the strips are. thanks
Yanita

Hi Texas,

Many of us have painted every room in our homes.

The jury is out on removing the batten strips. Many have done so and filled with caulking or tape and mud. Many have had great results, others complain that the filler has, or repeatedly cracks.

Personally, when I had my singlewide I just left them in place. The wall board sometimes has a slight texture to it, if you fill the gaps that texture can be a pain to replicate. Some of the gaps can be fairly wide.

Check in the decorating forum or do a search here on site, there are many threads about this...

Feel free to ask more questions.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

If you want to remove them Mark's Repair Manual Chapter 6 tells you how to remove, prep and fill the cracks.

Personally.... I leave them.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
texas2007

Well I was just asking because I have done both. In our bedroom we removed them and caulked them but we had trouble with cracking down the wall. When we painted our living room we left them and they really look fine. I just wish they would put better "crown molding" at the tops of the walls instead of just that little board. That stuff can get expensive!!!
Thanks to everyone who replied!
Yanita

Hi,

I and many others can attest to the expense of crown molding. If you just want to paint the crown you can get the cheaper stuff that is paintable grade. I have been just doing a room at a time, as money allows.

There is also this stuff out that is like a styrofoam substance, I have used the chair rail version of it and really liked it. Install was a breeze. I got it at Lowe's, I want to say that it was less than $3.00 for a 10" stick.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Texas2007,

The baton strips are there to allow your home movement, without showing it. No matter what you do, your home needs to move.

All depends on the type of foundation your on. It also depends on your weather! Bottom line, you need to find out how much your home moves in your location.

Our home is on a permanent foundation, but it still moves! We own a real old home, 1973. I opted to remove some to remove some of the strips and keep others, for now.

Caulk works better for me than joint compound. But, that all depends on your set up, the age of your home, and location, etc.

Crown molding, well, we're working on that. Maybe that will happen when we retire! That's all cosmetic, and I have to admit, I'm one female that concentrates on structure before pretty. I want a solid roof over my head for the next 30 years, more than I want pretty. That's just a personal opinion.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'