Newbie with a Quick Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LDB

Hi All,
I am getting ready to install laminate flooring in my double-wide. After pulling up the old carpet and pad we noticed that there is a 1/4" difference in height, from one side to the other, of the sub-flooring along the marriage seam. What is the best leveling product to use? A rigid or one that will remain flexible? Self leveling or one that needs sanding?
Thanks much!
LDB
Greg

Hi & welcome. For 1/4" I would go with a self leveling product, I would not worry about sanding since it will be covered.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Self-leveling compound saves you some time. Follow the directions on the can. Ive also heard of people using automotive body filler to level out floors and fill screw holes but Ive never tried it.
Tip your bartender.....
JD
Site Admin

I would use regular floor compound and float out the bump a couple of feet. I use Ardex Feather Finish. The pour and let sit self-leveling compound is not all that easy to compute and mistakes either way can create big problems.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.