pier problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hartlanders

I had two repair people check out a ceiling crack that goes from wall to the marriage beam.
The crack is always there but in the winter it opens up to 1/8 inch wide.Where the crack goes to the wall they measured from the door to wall where the crack ends.They went out side and measured from door to outside wall and there is a access panel there.When they opened it there was the pier it was wet and they both said the pier wasn't deep enough to get past frost line.
The problem is the heaving when ground freezes,which is why they said crack opens up more.
I am afraid to ask what the correct way to fix this,does the house have to be moved?
The park manager where we live will not offer to fix this.All he said is he would get someone to fill the crack,but that does not fix the problem.
Any advice will be appreciated,
hartlanders
Greg

This is one of the problems with living in a park. There is nothing you can do from a legal standpoint and is really not the Park's problem. I know this is not what you want to hear, but would you as a park owner spend the money on poured footers for a home that could be moved out in a month?

You didn't give your location so I don't know how deep the frost line is for you. It will not be an easy job to do, but you can sink proper footers with the home in place.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hartlanders

If the park installed piers,they are not responsible
for repairing it? How do you sink proper footers with
home in place? I live in Mi. The weather has been extremely
warm for this time of year.The piers were installed by a tractor
with a large drill and a cemect company poured the concrete.
The park manager and workers did the piers.
This is a manufactured home community,the same as a sub.
I appreciate your help,
hartlanders
Greg

The problem with poured piers is they are home specific. What fits your home most likely wont fit for another. Most parks do not install piers, In most cases they pour a slab or pad. Since the park did pour them, then I would say yes they are responsible. I have no idea how deep they went but I would guess your frost line is around 3'-4' so if the only went down 2' that may be the problem.

Greg
hartlanders

Thanks Greg i really appreciate your help,and your
explanation.
Sincerelly,
hartlanders
Greg S

Who is responsible for the problem may not be straight forward. You do not say whether you own the home or rent, if you own the home how long have you owned it, how long has it been in place, did you contract the park employees to pour the piers for a home you put in or did you purchase the home from the park, did you have a contract, does the contract spell out liability, did you purchase the home from someone other than the park owner. All of these answers relate to your legal rights regarding the piers and your home.
How did the individuals that looked at the pier determine it was not down far enough.

I would guess, short of having a contract stating the park owner is responsible for shifting piers or the park owner stepping forward to take responsibility, you will likely need to take this to court.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
hartlanders

We ordered the home from a company who sells the homes.
We do not have a mortgage we were able to pay cash for it.
The home is a Fleetwood and was brought in from Indiana.The
mobile home dealer is Little Valley Homes.The repair people
saw that pier in question was in line where crack starts at the
wall.Because it is visable in warm weather,they said that when
the crack opens up more in winter they claimed that the pier was not
installed below frost line,and because of the wetness around pier
it is heaving,or something like that.
We bought the home in 2000.We didn't contract the park the Little Valley Homes
were selling homes in the park and had models on lots to look at.
The park we were told would see to the home to get piers and hire
a company to setup the home when it was delivered.
Greg

OK so we established that you do indeed own the home & the park owns the land. In almost ALL situations the person/company that did the work is responsible for it's quality.

Now you need to remember that you have a situation here that you may win the battle & loose the war. You could make & win the case that the park IS responsible, only to have them "find" grounds later to evict you. Very slippery slope, be careful. You need to try to get them to work with you.

Greg
hartlanders

Thanks Greg i contacted the county building dept.and spoke to someone
there and he said he could not find info.on our address where the home was
setup on.He was going to call me after he looked into it,haven't heard back yet.
I will definatelly not hold my breath waiting for a call.
hartlanders
Greg S

In light of the fact that you have had the home for 12 years any warranty may have expired. Probably just easier and cheaper to fix the problem and move on if the park owner is not offering to take any responsibility.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
hartlanders

Hi Greg the building inspector was here and checked the crack.
We went outside and opened the access panel to look at the piers.
All he did was check the shims and he said they are tight.He then
looked at the smoke stack on roof from the fireplace,he said it's
possible that the support for it might not be adequate and that when
it snows alot the snow load may be pushiing down and causing the
cracks.He reccomended having a roofing contractor remove shingles around
the stack and cut a hole in the plywood and check the support system.
Would really appreciate your advice on whether to do this. I am open
to doing this if you feel that the advice from inspector makes sense.
Thanks,
hartlanders
ps the stack is right in the middle of piers where crack is.
Greg

Is this a masonry / brick fireplace or a steel unit. If it is a brick unit I could see the weight issue, but a steel unit I would question.

Greg
hartlanders

Hi Greg sorry for all my questions.I thought what i saw under the home might be relevant.
The home has shifted or moved,the frame of home is not in center of pier.It is around 2-3 inches
from not being supported at all.It is on the edge of the concrete blocks.What i was going to do is remove around 4 feet of siding from the ground up to get a better look,does this make sense to you? What would you reccomend i do?
hartlanders
Greg

You need to have as much good information as possible. If it requires pulling skirting so be it, This is not something you want to guess at. Are you sure the frame was centered to begin with?

It is starting to sound to me like you need to get a Pro involved, if for no other reason to do a complete inspection.

Greg
hartlanders

I am going to try and find a contractor/inspector and hope i can find
the right person.I will keep you updated,if that's ok?
hartlanders