Moisture barrier and leak comming up through the floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markjhansen

I have 2 seperate questions that I hope can be answered.
Do I need a moisture barrier if my mobile home sits on 6'' cement slab and the skirting is vented?
Second question is: I have a leak comming up through the floor about foot or so away from an outside wall, the leak is about is about 16'x8' long.The area next to the leak and to the wall is dry.All of the plumbing is on the other side of the mh so there are no pipes under this spot. Could this be from a roof or exterier wall leak? could the leak run down between the walls and come up under the floor away from the wall like this?The mobile home is 1985 14x70 North American. Thanks!
Last edited by markjhansen on Tue May 15, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobfather99

Mark,
To investigate a leak, start at the top and work your way down. Check the roof(soft spots), flashing(or gutters) and siding. Repair, seal, replace as necessary. If you have a door or window in the area, check around those as well. If a window is nearby, is it possible a window air conditioner dripped some water on the floor??

Finally, have a look under the home for any plumbing leaks. If you have black or gray polybutelene pipe, it is notoriously leaky.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

Start at the roof and work your way down & under your home. I just replaced a section of floor that was caused by a leaking roof vent boot, about 4' from the bad spot in the floor.

Treat anything questionable as a leak.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."