Under floor Insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

wreckless

remember this
https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... f=6&t=8514

well i have finally started work on my mobile home in the uk.
stage 1 was to paint the chassis with hammerite, stage 2 coat the floor joists with good quality wood preserver and dryrot protection, and finally i chose Celotex 50mm or 2" and used a high modular silicon mastic to seal the insulation in and fill the gaps with expanding foam.

When i first started i noticed one end had no jacks under the chassis so i purchased 24 and fitted them under the chassis then had to start leveling,
i hope i have done this correct, firstly i bought a water level consisting of 2 tubes with gradients in mm on and 30 ft of clear 3/8 pipe. I then converted a 2ft by 1ft plastic container fitting the pipe to one end and a water level to the other end of the pipe.
i then went underneath and sprayed a 3" square on the cross members by every jack point, when i say cross members i mean the steel U section running across the narrow profile of the home these are what the wooden floor joists are fixed to. I then marked a Datum line on all of the squares i had painted.
this is a picture of the area.

next i put the container at the same height as these steel u section but outside on some bricks,
i filled the container with water and also added some red food colorant to tint the water making reading easier.
the scale end had a stop on it that turned out to be really useful when crawling about not wanting to spill any water.
i let the pipe and scale fill from the container then fixed it with an elastic band to the marked u section, lining up the 20mm mark with the datum mark on the u section.
removing the cap from the scale and letting the level settle, i then took out some water from the container until the water in the scale settled at 70mm "mid range of the scale".
i then moved the scale to every point i had marked on the chassis, lining the 20mm mark with the datum at every point, then taking down the reading where the water level settled.
i found the end that had no jacks was between 15 to 25mm to low.
i then went through the lot again and jacked up where it was low and let down where it was high.
i managed to get it to within 3mm 1/8" over every jack.
This is the first time i have tried this so i hope i did it correct please let me know if not

next i fitted the insulation 50mm or 2" Celotex pir foam sheets.
i cut these to size and in 4ft lengths as i found this to be easier to slide up above the u section runs" they came in 8 x 4ft sheets, these went against the floor of the home, i used some little triangle shaped wooden wedges to hold the foam in place.
once it was all cut and in place i rand down the edges with high modular silicone mastic and expanding foam for any large gaps.
below are some pictures of the insulation in place this is a fiddly job but i could feel the difference straight away when walking on the kitchen lino floor. :D

Greg

It sounds to me like you did a great job leveling, Any time you can get within 1/4" it will be fine.

Time will tell on the insulation, I'm not sure what you have for cold weather where you are.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

If after a final re-check, you were within 1/8th inch, you did a great job! 2" of std density foam is about R8, so that sounds like it might work. That is more insulation than I see on a lot of older homes. How are you protecting the water lines?
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
wreckless

How are you protecting the water lines?
If you mean the pipe work it is set along a center channel that is boxed in it did have old rockwool in the channel but i have removed and put the grey round foam tubes on the pipe you can see this on the last picture if you look close. i have done this for central heating pipes as well as hot and cold water and mains in.
the temperature where i live in the uk normally does not drop below -5 on a bad day
i was thinking of putting back new rockwool as well :!:
JD
Site Admin

It all sounds good to me. I am real interested in how the insulation performs for you. Please be sure to keep us updated, OK?
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
wreckless

i have lino on the kitchen floor and when you get up in the mornings it is no longer cold on the feet.
the last 2 days in the uk have been fairly sunny and this old home becomes a bake house all windows open.
but soon i start on the outside i plan to remove all the outside 6mm wood sheeting, then fit extra 2x2 framing making it 4" deep wall. i will use 3 1/2" A4 stainless screws. I was worried about the chassis and the overhang but have had 5 qoutes from reputable companies and when i raised the matter they said it would be fine.
i was planning on using tanalized treated for the frame work.
i will then remove the old insulation and fit 75mm thick celotex ga4075 and use a foam gun to fix it to the wood framing. This will go against the inside wall leaving a 25mm gap between the insulation and the outer wall. i plan to then put up dupont house wrap membrane to the outside of the beams and then use 12mm far eastern Malaysian hardwood ply primered both sides with a breathable primer. then top coat it with a breathable texture coat around 3 to 4mm thick.
if anyone has any information on wall venting i would be greatfull there seems to be 7 in the living room and 1 in every other room at present around 200mm wide.
the 6 in the living room was due to it having a back boiler and gas fire that have now gone, so i may drop that to 2 in the living room.
once done i hope it will be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter