sewer roof vent pipe

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jswasky

we renovated a 3 bedroom2 bath mobile home. completely gutted the bathrooms & started over. in the spare bathroom we eliminated the roof vent that was in the wall at the head of the tub and replaced it with a vent cap. we used the same style vent cap under the sink. when you flush the toilet it bubbles in the tub. also when the washer is used it will sometimes bubble in the kitchen sink & there is a strong sewer smell. this is a 70' long home. the spare bath is at the front of the home, the kitchen in the middle, and the washer at the back door. the sewer clean out is also at the back door. we have no problems in the master bath that is located at the rear of the home. do you think the problem is because the roof vent pipe was eliminated? the vent cap is well above the tub drain. thanks everyone for any ideas!
Greg

It's a very good possibility. The check ball type vents really don't work very well when have large volumes of water need to be drained fast. I think that I would open up the wall again and replace the vent stack, it really should not take too much work.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Youre getting "bubbled up" sinks and sewer gases in the home because the system isn't vented well enough. Add that vent back into the system for the drains to work properly, and to vent the sewer gases out of the home.
Tip your bartender.....
jswasky

thanks for the help. will replace the vent pipe!
ponch37300

Is ther air vent burried in the wall? If so it's trying to suck enough air in threw the drywall to allow the tub to drain. Like mentioned those air vents aren't really meant to keep up with a full tub draining.