Skirting and Vent question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

poirier

Well I got a 2 part question was hoping you guys might be able to help out with.

First question is about the little track thing that the skirting slides into on the bottom that is nailed to the concrete (sorry I dont know if there is a term for it). In some places there seems to be gaps that water and stuff can go underneath it and I was thinking of just sealing that up with some caulking or whatever all the way around the home I just wondered if there was any issue with that??

Second question is about venting. I have started insulating the skirting with some rigid insulation, about halfway done right now. I have been sealing up the seams on the outside with tape and planning on using some of that expanding foam spray stuff for on the inside for any gaps. I was thinking of just sealing it all up for the winter and then doing something for venting after this winter. I guess I'm just wondering what would be the best way to vent it? Should I just leave a couple of the squares of insulation so I can just knock them out in the summer? Or is there another option that might prevent me from having to install and uninstall them with each season change

As always I appreciate the help thanks!
Greg

You want you skirting as tight as possible with no holes. Make sure the bottom track is secured to the pad, You may need more nails or concrete screws.

As far as insulation & ventilation goes, Great Idea! I have ours insulated all around. I framed in four removable panels and have screens for 2 of them 24x36 that I put in during warm weather.

Remember that your skirting is the last line of defense for the critters getting into your home during the cold weather.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."