air compressor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markjhansen

Hello,
I need to winterize my mobile home in a few weeks 'northern wis' and have never done this before.
I am going to blow the pipes from the outside waterspicket with an air compressor and run the faucets, unless someone here has a better or easier way. I am open to all ideas.
I know that I will need to pump in about 50 or 6o lbs of pressure into to water pipes to drain them effectivly.
My question is; Does a portable air compressor have the ability to maintain constant air pressure while i am inside running each faucet or will I have to run back and forth to fill the system with air after I do each faucet? Can I set the compressor to a certain poundage and have the compressor keep at that pondage?
Any make of compressor that can do what I need to will be appreciated, along with any other ideas for winterizing my mobile home.
I will be doing this by myself.
Thanks
Norm Frechette

i found this step by step on the internet

http://voices.yahoo.com/snowbirds-save- ... 41232.html
Greg

Any compressor will do the job, the question will be how long will it take. You will need to leave the compressor running, once you drain the water system and connect the compressor the house water system will become a part of the air tank. the longer it takes to fill just the compressor tank, the longer it will take to fill the whole system. It is not a matter of air PRESSURE, but a matter of VOLUME (CFM). If you don't already have a compressor, you may want to price renting a Gas powered unit. We rent a 20 CFM gas unit that would do a great job fairly quickly.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
markjhansen

Hi it's me again.
Another question about draning the water system.
Will the outside waterspicket allow air to enter?
Is there something that restricts anything from going in that faucet and only lets water out.
Some guy told me that that the outside faucet only lets water flow out and that there might be something in the faucet that will not let any water or air to enter.
I never heard that before, did any of you?
Greg

I have never heard of a check valve an outside faucet. I have seen a check in the main supply line usually when the home is on a well system.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

There should be an anti siphon mechanism on the outside faucet. I don't know if it will affect the compressed air.
DaleM

Drain the water heater first, that will then act as a large tank of air as you run the compressor. I use a portable compressor for all of my winterizations. Takes about 15 minutes to build up pressure and about 5 minutes to blow everything out. Don't forget the dishwasher, washing machine and icemaker if you have them. Run pink antifreeze through the dishwasher and washing machine to protect the pumps.