cat pee stains in wood floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MHbako

Hi all,
Thank you all for this forum I have being reading and learning a lot, I am new to MH with no experience, very happy to give back that slavery mortgage to the bank and be a real home owner this time.

Bought a “newer” MH is actually a distress property with a lot of minor and maybe major repairs, I remove the carpet and by the smell and look seems some cats have being living inside the home using a pet door left unlock.

I was thinking to applied teak oil or primer to the base floor since it looks solid despite the stain and odor, will this be enough?

Could odors come back next summer? (I’m in California 100-110DegF)

Planning to put laminate floor in the living areas and halls, vinyl in kitchen and baths and carpet in bedrooms.

thank you

Best regards,
MHbako
Greg

Hi & welcome. This has been discussed here before so you could do a search for other ideas. You could try cleaning the spots first and then sealing them with an oil base primer/sealer.

Worse case would be cutting the spots out and replacing them with Plywood.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dani

OK what you need to do is go buy an enzymie based cleaner at a pet store . THat is the only thing that will take the smell away.They use to have one called Simple solution which is much better than nature's miracle stuff. You'll then need to pour or spray the product on the area of the floor get it good and wet. You can soak it up with a cloth or news paper after about an hour then just let it dry. You may have to do it 2 or 3 times but it will work and it sure beats cutting out part of the floor.

Good luck,
Dani
Steve-WA

I disagree with Dani - soaking an existing MH floor with anything that permeates is a bad idea. If you aren't comfortable that Kilz will do what you need, cutting and replacing is guaranteed, and not that big of a deal
ponch37300

Please don't just dump a liquid all over your floor. That will cause more problems than you already have and will lead to ripping out the floor and replacing. Most floors are MDF or particle board and don't mix well with any liquids, they will expand and deteriorate. If you do this and then put down laminate you will have all sorts of problems down the road and have to tear up your new laminate.

Personally I'm not a fan of just covering it up with kills. I've always been of the thought that just covering it up doesn't solve the real problem, also wondered how long kills would stick to amonia based cat pee stain? I know people have said they have had good luck doing the kills thing and just covering it up and that is probably the easiest way to go about this. Just not my cup of tea personally.

The only real way to do this right is to rip the floor out and replace with new. Depending on a few things doing this isn't much more difficult than putting in laminate.
Alien7up

Ive tried the enzymie based cleaners and for me it did not work.. I ended up cutting a section of the floor out and replaced it. odor is now gone :D
"So Say We All"