Bathroom wall material?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

canman47

Hello, I haven't been here for a while but I'm finally starting to remodel my bathroom. Was very hard to find a new tub in the right 54" size but finally found one at Lowe's. What I'm wondering first is what to build the walls with. In the bath alcove it had fiber board which was covered with stuff we used to call Marlite which was a faced fiber board. All of that stuff has rotted out from water exposure. The important factor is that with the tub size and the alcove size the wall material has to be exactly 1/4" thick. I've considered exterior plywood(flammable), water resistant drywall(don't know if it comes in 1/4"), and cement tile backer board(heavy). I'm leaning towards the tile board but at 28lbs. per 3x5 piece it's a bit heavy. Any other ideas? I'm thinking I should do the same material for the whole bathroom but not sure?? It originally had really flimsy paneling stapled to the studs. Not sure what the finish walls should be. I'm thinking of a FRP type material which should work with the tile backer. Any ideas from those who have done this? I'm hoping to find a tub enclosure to fit the 54" alcove but no luck so far.
Steve-WA

FRP is very light - it's those bubbly panels you see in the gas station restrooms. It is my preference for bathrooms in my MH rentals. It may look too commercial for your home. For the enclosure, ceramic tile over hardibacker is durable and attractive, and less susceptible to cracking since it it a vertical application. Use big tiles: 12" or 16". Fancy schmancy.

Or buy a prefab surround. Those are all I have done to different rentals, and all are quite adequate. It really depends on the look you want.
MizFurball

You can use green board around a tub/shower and put whatever you want over that. Green board is especially for tub and shower surrounds.
canman47

By Greenboard do you mean the moisture resistant drywall that is faced with green paper? I read the data sheet on it from U.S. Gypsum and it specifically said not to use for shower surrounds. That said I did use it on a previous remodel and it held up fine. The only problem was the tileboard that I glued to it decomposed. Also I don't think it comes in the 1/4" thickness I would need. I'm still leaning towards the tile backer but to do the whole bathroom would add about 300 lbs. If I tile it I'm afraid the weight will sink that part of my home!
Greg

Greenboard Or the new Gold should be fine UNDER a shower/tub surround, but not as the actual surround.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Why are you restricted to only 1/4" wall covering. When installing a tub the wall panel should extend down over the attachment lip of the tub not behind it. Tub goes in first against wall studs and wall sheathing goes over top so water runs into tub not down the wall behind the tub.

Install 1/2" green drywall and finish as you desire. Tile, tub surround, paint what ever you chose.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
canman47

The original install used 1/4" fiberboard between the studs and the tub so the alcove is 54.5" wide and the tub is slightly less than 54". I need to narrow the opening by 1/4" on each end so I thought I would just run the wallboard down to the floor on each end. The back of the tub can go against the studs. As for the green board the manufacturer says not to use it behind a tub surround. The covering paper is water resistant but the gypsum itself isn't. The paper has been a cause for mold problems in tub areas where it can stay damp.
Greg S

That is not the correct way to install a tub. The wall covering must be in front of the tub lip not behind it.
You should build out the studs on on end, or both, to insure whatever you put on the wall will actually drain into the tub.

This is one of the reasons Manufactured homes have so many water issues. The builders take short cuts by installing all the drywall first then installing the tub not caring if there is a leak in the future.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
canman47

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I thought the tile or tub surround would go over the tub lip and take care of that but what you say makes sense.