Fiberglass panels

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

Has anyone used the FRP panels for the bathtub/shower? I've been watching videos, asking around and everyone says they just glue on, right over the existing wall...before I screw anything up, I was hoping to hear from someone who had used them with success! We have panels already surrounding the tub, they don't leak, no problems whatsoever, so I was going to remove the corner trim, and the trim around the tub, glue these new panels right on, then put up new trim. Since the walls have no issue now, do I need to put up any form of backer board, or just slap the new over the old? One thing I don't want, is to have to try and pry these panels off later down the road, so any tips, will be greatly appreciated!

Lisa
ponch37300

What is the reason for doing this if the walls are perfectly fine? Personally I don't like the look of FRP panels, but that's just me. You need to explain what you have now, a picture would be great. You just have flat panels in your shower surround now? No rounded corners or other things like soap shelves or handles? FRP is just glue up, think the glue is made by Henrys if I remember right. You will have to check and see if it will bond the FRP to what you have now. Spread the glue on with a notched trowel and put the FRP up. They also make some anchors to help hold it better. FRP is easy to use with the right tools. I've used it before for different things.
LisaBoyer

Hi, no curved corners, no soap dishes, its not a molded piece, but panels covered by some form of waterproof fabric, (you can feel the pattern when you run fingers over the surface). They are flat panels, with trim in the two corner sections. I would like them covered, because the previous owner tried to caulk the trim, and did a lousy job, I think he used a trowel. The caulk is discolored and even if I replace the trim, the ugly caulk would show. It's purely cosmetic, it's ok, I'm a woman and allowed to be this way :)

My concern was the backer board, I have read other posts here and everyone says it is needed...but I was hoping since we are water tight, I could skip that part.

Sorry about the pictures, my digital camera is not well, hopefully I explained this a bit better.
JD
Site Admin

What you have is probably melamine type panels. They were very popular with MH manufacturers. The home stores will sell 'Tileboard' and 'Thrifty White' panels that are a similar product, which is basically hardboard with a waterproof layer. The FRP panels might be able to stick it buy I am not positive. It says on the FRP adhesive instructions that it should be glued to sheetrock or wood and not non-porous surfaces. Drilling a bunch of holes in the old panels could help with curing the adhesive as well as make it stick better. You would definitely want to clean the surface very well and abrade it with coarse sandpaper. Contact Adhesive might work for you, but it comes with it's own installation problems. Mainly, you only get one shot to place the panel where it belongs, no moving or pulling off after the glue surfaces touch. Maybe a combination of of FRP adhesive and the nylon rivets they sell for FRP installation, but I don't like the look of rivets.

As best I know, the FRP panels come in 48" wide sheets, meaning you will have to use an "H" trim at the 48" mark. You would need at least 3 of the 48" wide panels to do a full surround on a 27x54 mobile home tub, 4 panels for a 30x60 or better. You could buy an inexpensive ABS molded shower wall kit for the same price and then use liquid nail or similar tub surround adhesive, which would have no problem sticking to a clean abraded surface. The cheesy soap dishes would be just a bonus. I say cheesy because you can squish the soap dish with your fingers.

I am wondering just how bad that caulking is. They do sell silicone/caulk remover at the home stores. Not sure if your existing panels will get along with caulk remover though.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.