Whats above the ceiling of a 69 Northland

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

69Northland

We bought this MH on a Lake lot in Oct but havent spent time in it yet(winter). we are going to put $ into it to make it fun and user friendy. We would like to know if its feasible to remove ceiling panels permanently and paint whats above to make it look larger. We dont use it in winter so we arent concerned about keeping heat in. Thanks!
Greg

You would be opening a can of worms. Above the ceiling panels there is roof trusses, insulation and then the bottom of the tin roof.
You need the truss system to support the tin since there is no way it will support it's self.
I think that with no insulation you would have a major condensation problem.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Above the ceiling are really ugly mobile home roof trusses. Best to not remove the ceiling unless you are planning on rebuilding the roof to a conventional peak incorporating a cathedral design in the new trusses.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
1987Commodore

Plus, you need the ceiling insulation to keep interior temps reasonable in summer.
69Northland

Ok. I hate can of worms. the pop(soda) was good though.
69Northland

I saw on youtube that someone replaced the ceiling panels with grooved (beadboard)wall board. it looked really good. the 2x2 crossbeams look good too.
Greg

I do like the looks of a pine ceiling, But I would have concerns about using just beadboard (the real wood type) for the fire rating. That was one of the problems with the early mobile home, they were basically kindling wood.

Greg
69Northland

We are probably going with beadboard. that way, we can fix anything above the ceiling that is causing the sagging.
69Northland

Hello , i cant get the pics to download-too big. 1stain looks like a 1/4 (about 12" extending out from wall (3/4 of circle disappears into the corner where 2 walls meet on ceiling in bathroom near the hotwater heater right below the 2 vents on the roof.

Bedroom 1 has a 2x4 and some bricks holding a shelf up in a closet right on exterior wall with a darker stain coming up from the floor( looks like a graph pattern about 3 ft in length) nothing on the outside to expose the bedroom problem. ????? I can email 2 pics if someone thinks they can give me a good opinion.
Greg

Many of the photo software programs have resize options in them for Email. Check to see if you have one on your's, resize it and you should be able to post pictures.

Greg
69Northland

Here is the picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
69Northland

Photo #2 Here the problem spots. Thanks again for your input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

OK now that I understand better about the shelf, I would bet that there was nothing solid (like a stud) to anchor the support to. A little redesign will solve that problem.

Greg