fireplace rocks falling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NancyB

I have a fireplace with rectangular 'rocks' that have suddenly started falling out. It's a Norris doublewide about 10 years old. I'm not sure how to put them back in place. The mortar that held them in place is unevenly applied and is not sticking to the rocks, just the wall. It looks like if I'd remortar them, I'd have to chip the old mortar out. I'm thinking some kind of adhesive would work better. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I also inherited a 25 year old Palm Harbor home that I'm currently living in. I have lots of repairs to do and I've been reading posts to glean info. I suspect I'll have more questions.
JD
Site Admin

If you think the rest of the bricks will stay put, you could try gluing them back on with something like
http://www.liquidnails.com/products/lan ... sive-LN905
I would think polyurethane caulk would work if you could hold the rock long enough. That will be the trick is holding pressure on the stones. I would just do 2-3 stones at a time and wedge a 2x4 against them to hold them in place.

But if you have some falling out, it may be just the beginning of more problems. Might be better in the long run to replace an accent wall with Z-Brick or something like that.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
NancyB

JD, Thanks for your reply. I'd already bought some liquid nails, then tried it after your reply. It seems to be working. I've done several stones and they are holding. It seems like an odd problem to suddenly have them falling out. If the fireplace was used alot, I'd say it was related to that, but it's rarely used. I appreciate your response.
JD
Site Admin

The stones are probably falling out due to warpage or twisting or the wall behind it. As mobile homes settle, they don't just lower evenly. There is some twisting of the chassis involved. For best results, the wall behind the stone or tile should be heavy plywood. But the twisting will still occur eventually.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.