Different replies, which is correct?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

I hate being at the mercy of others.

We are getting roofing estimates, and 2 say it's ok to lay over new shingle on the existing roof and 1 says no, it's not...a weight issue. When I question the 2 who feel it's ok, I'm told that it is not an issue and they do it all the time.

At this point, I don't know who to believe, so I put a call into L&I, hoping they could tell me since they have to pass inspection on the work. Still waiting for a return call, it may be awhile. Here I am, asking you all, hoping for a straight answer, which I can't seem to get from any of the contractors, lol

1 of the contractors asked if we had inside leaking, as it looked like the shingles were concave at the peak...only one asked this question, so did the others miss it, or was he trying to pad the estimate with repairs? I'm about ready to climb a ladder and go check it out, (and if you knew my fear of high places, you would know this is the last straw), it's frustrating to have to depend on the honesty and reliability of strangers.
ponch37300

Is existing roof asphalt shingles? What is the condition of the current roof? Any curling or cracking shingles? While I believe a roofover is acceptable by code and from what I could find some manufacturer warranties accept roofovers and some said it didn't meet acceptable standards for warranty. With that being said I would NEVER do a roofover, ever. I've done and helped on about 20 or so roofs and only did one roofover because I was just helping a guy and he was super cheap and didn't want to listen. It doesn't take too much more effort to strip the old shingles, especially on a MH which is usually just two straight sides.

The guys that don't want to tear off most likely don't want to do the extra work, they just want to come in and slap down the roof as fast as possible and cash the check. The problem with doing this is that you can't see any problems that may or may not exist under the shingles. If you have had any small leaks and maybe a sheet or two of sheathing needs to be replace you won't catch that if you roofover. The other problem is you are going over a bad roof, even though it may not be horrible there is a reason you are putting new shingles on. If the old shingles aren't flat or are curling or have anything wrong with them they don't make a good surface for the new shingles. You will also see more "waves" when do a roofover.

I'm not sure what the price difference is but personally I would tear the old off. But keep in mind that I kind of like doing roofing and do my own work so it only costs me the charge at the landfill to do a tear off, and I have a friend with an old ford dumptruck so it makes things easy.

The guy that said the ridge shingles were bad may have been a good observant roofer or may have been looking for extra work, and the ones that "missed" that may have been because there was nothing wrong with them or they just weren't as observant or just didn't care, comes back to the get in and get out and cash the check thing. But you can't be for sure and I surely can't be for sure without seeing it.

Yes it sucks being at the mercy of contractors. Are there anymore roofing contractors that will come out and give another estimate for you? The more the better since you can't get up there. Any friends or family that could get up there to confirm any problems or take some pictures or video of what it looks like for you? Get as many references from these guys also. Like from the two that want to do a roofover see if they will give references of roofs they did 5-10 years ago and call those people to see if they had roofovers and if so how they have held up. Call the building inspector and ask if they will recommend any roofing companies, they may or may not do this since they may not want to get involved recommending a company. Talk to as many people as you can about who did their roofs and how they liked them.
1987Commodore

On a stick built home, it is ok to do another layer of shingles. I would not do it on a mobile because of the extra weight. Asphalt shingles are heavy, mobile home trusses are not usually heavy duty.
That said, how about a metal roof? Available in many colors, and they seem to be gaining in popularity. Light weight, and you can install styrofoam under it for insulation.
Greg

I think you answered your own question, Weight is always an issue.
I think I would take a good hard look at steel, If it is put on right I think it will be the last time you will have to mess with the roof.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

The straight answer to your question is they are both correct. A roof over is acceptable assuming only one existing layer is in place. The better way is to remove the old shingles and put down new. As with everything in life you can have cheap or you can have quality but you can not have both.
As the home owner it is ultimately your decision to choose between quality and budget.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)