The dreaded spot....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

Thank you one and all for responding on the roof questions....you don't know how much I appreciate them!

Here, I have included a picture of a stain that has been on the ceiling since we moved in a little over a year ago. (painting ceilings is last on the list of upgrades) So...after having roofing contractors on the roof for estimates, and the one who asked if we had leaks..I started wondering about this spot.

Climbing on the ladder, I found it to be hard and no difference in texture then the rest of the ceiling, no softness at all. I used the broom handle with some force, no give. If this was a mark of some leaking, wouldn't the panel be either warped, or soft? I can't tell if it's just a swipe of paint, or chemical, left by the previous owner...or what it is. After going over the entire ceiling, this is the only mark I can find.
ceilingspot.jpg
cielingspot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

It's tough to tell by the pictures. It may have been a small leak that was repaired, it may have been a condensation build up, or it could be a mark as you said. I would just keep an eye on it for now and see what if anything happens.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

It doesn't really look like a water spot to me. Water spots would usually be rounder, and there should be a ring at the edge. A dried water spot wouldn't necessarily be soft. This looks more like something on the surface of the ceiling, see the white on the recessed areas within the spot. To paint over it, prime with Kilz or similar, even shellac, to keep it from bleeding through.
JeffInFL

Almost looks like some sort of adhesive or something, or maybe just paint (hard to tell from the pic).
Mark440

Couldn't say with 100% accuracy....but the color of the spot is an exact match to 'cover ups' I have found all through my place. Most of it is on the paneling to cover nail holes - but in some places - it's like somebody was just getting it off their fingers and smeared it waaaaaaaaaaaay out. Ugly and completely unprofessional. But then - what should we expect when no one on the 'assembly line' can count to 11.

I think the stuff was initially white - or maybe clear. With time it has yellowed and now stands out like a sore thumb.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
LisaBoyer

That's exactly what it looks like! I sprayed it with a mixture of bleach/water and it is basically gone. I found more in the kitchen, around the light, and assumed it was food thrown at the ceiling, but what you said makes more sense. In both areas, bleach/water took care of it, and we can paint with a little more confidence.