PVC Pipe Repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Hi All,
On the roof of my triple trailer, is a solar pool water heater. I had all the panels replaced 2 years ago. The problem is the PVC piping, that runs across the roof, to the panels, was not replaced. The PVC piping is 2 inches in diameter.
The problem is where a piece of PVC pipe runs into (connects to) the first PVC elbow. It has sprung a pin hole sized leak. I assume it is pin hole sized, because of the water pattern that is spraying out from the underside of the elbow where it connects to the pipe. It is the actual spot where the pipe goes into the elbow. I guess it could be called the seam of the connection.
I know the best fix would be, get up on the roof, saw the elbow out and redo the connection. Reasons, too many to list, prevent me from doing that.
Does anyone know of an epoxy, past or ooze, that can be used on PVC pipe to seal a water leak, that can withstand our 115 degree daytime temperatures. I only need this to be a solution for a year (at most) before I can get up there to fix it the correct way.
Thanks and Happy 4th of July,
Dave
Greg

Any type of that kind will require the pipe and repair area be dry, this would require the the draining of the pipe. You could try PVC cement, that might get into leak. You could try JB weld also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

If at all possible I would try and replace the problem pipe or coupling. Maybe hire a neighbor kid or something to do the work while you supervise? Like Greg said the problem is going to be the pipe being wet. If you can empty it and let it dry that would be best. I believe they make a PVC glue for "wet" application but you will have to look into it. This might work, http://www.oatey.com/products/plastic-p ... hot-cement. But I'm not sure what will work because I've always just cut out any problems and replaced.
KLBoldon

Greg

KLBoldon wrote:how about this stuff?

http://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|sm|g ... d=a4cc8494
Try it, if it doesn't work, don't try it again.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
opinion free

First, a big Thanks to all for the suggestions. The cheapest of them, was for the JB Weld at $10. So I called a plumber and he said would cut it out and replace it for $50, so I'll let him do it. I'm posting this because, as he said, he had never seen this occur to PVC pipe before. It was just simple 1 and 1/2 inch pvc pipe and elbow. The heat and water pressure had caused the pvc piping to grow/stretch/expand to 1 and 3/4 inch. Apparently, 1 and 3/4 inch pvc isn't a regular size. He had to replace all of the return side, with new pvc piping and elbows, and still only charged $50 plus materials.