Vinyl Plank Flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

We are going to be laying the Novalis Peel & Stick Vinyl Plank Flooring in our doublewide. We currently have some bad carpeting that does not hold up well with our 6 dogs and all the hair. I read in several of the posts about underlayment materials if the flooring is particleboard. What is the best thing to use for underlayment? We are doing the living room, hall, and master bedroom to start.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

It's been awhile since I have read the instructions on the boxes of Novalis tiles....hopefully they have manufacturers instructions on their recommendations for the sub floor prep.

We used luan, it is basically a 1/4 thick finished grade plywood. It comes in 4x8' sheets. When doing the install of the luan make certain to stagger the joints. Also make certain to use a floor leveling compound to go over the nail heads.

Novalis also recommends that you let the tiles acclimate to your home for a couple days.

These are great tiles, remember to buy a small bottle of Goo Gone. For a few days after install the glue will seep out, real easy clean up with the Goo Gone.

If you need more help post back.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hey Yanita,

Yep, they do recommend luan under layment for the Novalis if you have particle board. If your laying it over existing vinyl in good condition, you shouldn't need it.

We've been waiting to install this for a few years now. But, because our big old German Shepard is part of our family, he needs our old tacky carpet to to even move around right now! I have an open floor plan and the brilliant former owner carpeted half of the kitchen and the master bath. That's great for the old puppy. Horrid for us right now. But, we've made the choice to wait until he no longer needs the nasty carpet to get up and down. I'd have removed the carpet from the master bath years ago, but that is the coolest place in the house... and his favorite place is up against the tub!

If I remember correctly, Novalis does give very good instructions about underlayments.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'