Cosmetic damage to tub drain

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jennifer

Hello!

I didn't want to jack kabucha's post but had a similar question :). If you read my previous post about kitchen and bathroom plumbing issues then this situation won't be new to you. The short version of my problem is that over about 2 weeks my tub was backing up with water from all the drains from one end of the house. I tried to remove all the standing water I could but it would come back and cover the chrome lip of the drain in the floor of the tub. That piece of trim or whatever, is now dark grey and pitted with some obvious damage to the finish. My guess is that the combo of laundry chemicals, dishwasher soap and rinse aids, vinegar and baking soda along with whatever other junk was in the sewer water, all of that sitting in the drain caused some minor damage.

I would like to pop out that top piece of the drain and replace it. Not because of failure but for purely cosmetic reasons. Looking at it grosses me out and reminds me of my sewer issues- it makes me feel like the tub still isn't totally clean and sanitary :(, who wants to take a long bath in something like that?? So, I found the tub and shower drain repair kit on the site but don't think I need that. I took a cursory look under the home after our plumbing nightmare and am pretty certain the drain is fine.

I can buy or possibly borrow the removal tool to get it out but I'm not sure it just pops out like that? Can I replace just that top portion of the drain or do I need to get an entire kit like this: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/tubdrainkit.htm. I don't want to get back under the home if I don't have to and obviously want to minimize expense as well as labor.
ponch37300

When I took my shower out I had to go underneath and there was a piece of plywood about 10"x10" that I had to unscrew to get access to the bottom of the shower drain. I wasn't able to undo it from the top like a "normal" shower drain.
Greg

You could try some automotive chrome cleaner, but that may not do it.It may also be a plastic piece. You may end up replacing it. The parts are not that expensive, but the job would take some time since you are almost removing the tub.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."