PEX CRIMPING TOOL

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markjhansen

Hi,
I purchased a pex crimping tool and practiced with it on some small lengths of tubing.
The 3/4 crimp was fine the 1/2 crimped to much.(i think)
In Marks book it shows that if the crimp fits all the way in the go/nogo gauge, its a good crimp.
My book from Mark is not avalible right now to look at but I think that is what it said.
In my instructions for my Masterforce crimp tool it shows that if the crimp fits all the way in the gauge, the crimp is compressed to small and that I need to recalibrate the tool.
What do you think? the 1/2'' crimp ring fits just inside the gauge.
I will probaly go with what my instructions for my tool tells me to do but I am confused.
You would think that the go/nogo gauges would be the same for all brands.
Also, If I need to recalibrate my tool I will need make some crimps until its right.
I don't have the tool to cut off the crimp ring and really dont want buy one.
The fittings are cheap compared to the crimp remover tool so I will keep using more fittings if I have to.
Can I practice with the crimp tool without using any fittings, and keep crimping down the pex tube until I get the correct crimp?
I look forward to your responces and to my pex project that will be done in a couple of weeks.
I hope all of you in this Forum know how much help you are, and wonder just how much money you have save all of us over the years with your help and advise!
Greg

Thank you. We are all family here, that's what makes this forum work.

If it is only "slightly" over crimping I think I would leave it alone and try it on a crimp. I know that I had to over crimp mine (a pocket crimper) to get a 100% leak proof crimp. I found that if I went with the gauge I got a slight seep. Follow the instructions that came with the tool, or call the manufacturer for their advice.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

What style of gauge do you have? The one I have has two slots for each size, one slot is sized so the crimp is supposed to go into it and the other slot is sized so that the crimp won't fit. Hence the go/no go part.

The crimp rings are actually really soft metal. I've had to cut a few off and used an angle grinder or hacksaw and they come off really easy. I don't own the cutter tool. Looked at it but didn't get it since it's easy to get them off with a hacksaw and cutting across the ring diagonally.
markjhansen

The gauge that I have has one slot with a line about 1/4 way up.
If the crimp only goes part of the way up, its a Go.
If the crimp ring fits all of the way in the slot then its a No/Go.
I'm sure there is a reason why you should not over crimp, but you would think that the tighter the better.
I am using plastic fittings in my pex because of the Iron in the water, so maybe thats why you should not crimp to tight.