Perimeter Blocking

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg S

I am purchasing a 2013 Fairmont home that requires Perimeter Blocking.
What are the basics of how it is structured. Does perimeter blocking require a concrete footing below the frost line, how does it work in conjunction with the piers under the main support rails.
In my location we have severe winters, are the perimeter blocking and support piers all required to be below frost line or can they all be set on grade to float.
My primary concern is that the blocking and piers will shift separately and tear the home apart over time.
Any advice on how to go about setting this home up would be appreciated.

I do have the option of ordering the same home with 2 X 12 floor joists which would not require perimeter blocking. Would this be a better set up in my climate.

Greg
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JD
Site Admin

I do not live in a cold weather area, but from my experience with mobile homes and code, I am sure perimeter piers would require footings in your area. They are not required in the Central Valley, CA.

Your thinking that perimeter piers would shift separately is correct. With perimeter piers, you should check level more often, especially during a hard freeze. Think of a box held up with two rows of piers. No mater which side sinks, it is still a box on two sets of piers, even if it is not level. When you introduce a third set of piers, ground movement and settling takes on a whole new set of dynamics. Movement can lift a beam off some of the piers or increase pressure on the 2nd line of piers.

2x12 joists with no edge piers would be a great fix for this problem. Level would not be as critical or damaging. If the cost difference is feasible, I would go that route.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg S

Thanks for the response JD. I have decided that rather than go the expense and hassle of perimeter blocking I will be ordering a home with 2 X 12 joists. It's only an additional $500 but unfortunately the delay will now put off me bringing it in until the spring.
Winter is beginning to set in up here and I hate working outside in the cold so it's probably better to wait anyway.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JD
Site Admin

$500, that's great! Even if you did the footing work yourself and only had to pay for concrete, you are still ahead of the game. Concrete trucks have a minimum charge and tow buckets aren't cheap and are much more work.

Waiting till a more ideal weather period for the set-up can only be good for you. This will be your home for a long time. Get the best set up possible.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg S

Actually JD it is not my intention to live in the home. I am bringing it in and selling it to a retired couple that are downsizing.
Although it is less expensive to go with the heavier joists as opposed to perimeter blocking my primary reason is to provide the best posible home I can for the buyers. I have very high standards and will only sell something that I myself would be comfortable living in.