Awning Issues

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Had a big wind storm and when I got home, the attached 10 x 30 aluma awning was ripped off the house. This was the patio side awning, not the carport side. This is a unimaginable disaster, because I let the insurance expire. The only good thing, I wasn't home when it happened.

Today the estimates from contractors started coming in. All in the $3000 range. That old saying about rain and it pours is so applicable.
One roofer said he could clean all the debris out, thrown up a drip guard and a gutter for $300. I'm thinking I should go with the $300 guy. He said should I want a new awning down the line, I could add one back.
My question is about what should I make sure is done, when he seals up the roof and house so I don't get future water penetration? If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks
Greg

That sounds like the best & quickest solution. About all you can do is hope he is an honest & competent roofer. Take a close look after and make sure everything looks good.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Awning estimates sound right. You may want to ask how he is going to seal the tear holes. Is this a comp shingle roof or a metal roof? Was the awning hanger and flashing attached a few inches below the roof edge or right up against the roof edge?
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.