Roof Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Annie410

Metal roofing is not allowed in the community where I purchased my home. The contractor wants to use architectural shingles, not the three tab..is there much benefit to this and is it worth the extra cost?

My apologies for all the questions, I am a first time mh owner working on a budget.
ponch37300

The benefit is mostly in looks as long as the ratings/warranty are the same. A lot of contractors want to use architectural shingles because they are easier to install. You don't really have to snap any lines or measure anything, they are very forgiving as you can cheat them one way or another and you'll never see it from the ground. 3 tabs you have to measure and snap lines and aren't very forgiving, they all have to line up.

Personally I don't like the look of 3 tabs. But with that being said MH roofs don't have much slope, I can't even see mine from the ground. So looks really mean nothing. Also MH roofs are usually 2 rectangle surfaces, no valleys or jogs or anything like that so they are very easy to measure out and do.

My guess is the contractor just doesn't want to deal with the 3 tabs, with architectural you can just lay and go.
Annie410

Thank you, ponch. The estimate is $3700 and I have no idea if that's good or not. The first one was $6000. The home is a 1996 Pine Grove, and otherwise in good shape, it just needs a bit of paint on walls. From what you are saying, I would guess the three tab might actually be more labor intensive and the cost would be the same or more. I think almost every home I looked at in this age range was going to be in need of a new roof, if not this year, within a year or two.
ponch37300

It really isn't too much more labor if they know what they're doing, just takes more measuring and layout to start and you have to be more accurate. If your 3 tab starts getting a little off you will notice. Where as architectural is a lot more forgiving, you can be a ways off and never notice it. Architectural you can just start and go and not even really measure anything until you start getting close to the peak and then cheat one side up or down as needed. 3 tab you have to snap lines to make sure you are really close to straight and as lined up as possible. Not a big deal for a good roofing crew but can't be as carefree as architectural.

Did you ask why he didn't want to install 3 tab?
Annie410

That makes sense, I can see why he would prefer them.

I did ask, and he said the architectural are heavier, and would withstand winters/weather better than the three tab.
1987Commodore

I have the architectural on mine. At the time, there was little difference in materials cost, and the architectural had a significantly longer warranty.
Annie410

They do have an excellent warranty and rating!